• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Nicholas

Birmingham City Police 1839 - 1974

Come on John please 'spill the beans' on this particular matter!?! I'd LOVE to hear more on the subject....!?!
  2. Nicholas

Regent Parade

What sort of things did your friend report, if you don't mind my asking, mw0njm?
  3. Nicholas

Regent Parade

I wonder if that is the same place owned by an old friend of mine? He also said that his property was haunted too, by the ghost of a little girl. A number of staff experienced this, it seems?
  4. Nicholas

Brummie Ghosts

Thank you very much for your reply, JonnyH! I remember first reading about the Beachy Head matter as a youngish child, I believe... but it's a topic that seems to have greatly 'disappeared' from most paranormal literature in more recent decades, perhaps? It's been so long (since I remember...
  5. Nicholas

Brummie Ghosts

Thank you for sharing in such detail, JonnyH...!! Much appreciated!! Sceptics make the best witnesses, by far....... Strangely - despite having been an outpatient at the QE in the past, it's only been in the last 12 months that I'd heard about the 'Roman' connections, I must admit!! Rolls...
  6. Nicholas

Brummie Ghosts

Thank you very much!! No problems about any delay in responding, mw0njm!!!
  7. Nicholas

A Darlaston Burial With Handsworth Links? Can Anyone Possibly Shed Some Light, Please?

Everyone... thank you VERY much for all of your input and guidance on this matter! One of the first things I did was write to the local church - St. Lawrences - as the burial ground concerned only stands just across the road from the church, etc. (I had taken into consideration the simple...
  8. Nicholas

A Darlaston Burial With Handsworth Links? Can Anyone Possibly Shed Some Light, Please?

Yes, indeed Ken_R!! It had been suggested that there could have been a few, different definitions of 'Tyrant', perhaps.... but I had personally found the 'Let his days be few' line to potentially be indicative of 'someone', rather than a 'something' possibly?
  9. Nicholas

Thank you Sospiri!! I have limited access to some newspaper archives (via Lancs. Library Services), but I couldn't find anything that might relate to the overall matter either.... I do very much appreciate your taking time to look the matter up.... Many thanks!!
  10. Nicholas

Thank you for your comments pjmburns! I'm afraid all that I know on the matter was mentioned in my inital post.... An acquaintance that carries out genealogical research has looked Mary up, but has only come up with data that was already known: Maria Simkin Event Type: Burial Event Date...
  11. Nicholas

An acquaintance has recently (via social media) drawn my attention to a particular grave in 'Owen Memorial Gardens' - situated next to the Asda superstore - in Darlaston, West Midlands. The grave in question is that of Maria Simkin - born in Darlaston in 1816 - who died age 39, on December the...
  12. Nicholas

Brummie Ghosts

Thank you very much Paul.....
  13. Nicholas

Brummie Ghosts

Thank you for sharing Paul Stacey!! I've heard quite a few stories of seemingly 'disappearing buildings' over the years - including an example from nearby Stourbridge, it seems!! Ghosts aside though, Paul... I certainly envy the scenes / experiences you describe here, it has to be said!!
  14. Nicholas

Brummie Ghosts

Thanks for posting, mw0njm!! Can you possibly offer a description of the figure, please?
  15. Nicholas

Brummie Ghosts

I was looking for this episode on Youtube, after hearing about it, a shortish while ago, Rosie. (In vain, however!!) I believe it was Edwina Curry who reported that experience?
  16. Nicholas

Old Church Edgbaston (st Bartholomew)

Thank you very much for your help and advice with this matter Radiorails and Maurice!! Much appreciated, I assure you!! Since I posted my note, I've written to the Birmingham Diocese to ask if St Bartholomews had ever been 'reconsecrated' at any point, as I've been informed - by a vicar from...
  17. Nicholas

Old Church Edgbaston (st Bartholomew)

I have recently been looking into a matter of supposed Edgbaston Old Church (St. Barts) 'history'.... but, in searching through various - albeit restricted - Victorian newspaper archives, I'm now wondering whether the incident concerned may be pure 'Folklore', rather than anything more...
  18. Nicholas

Coventry Road, Sheldon.... Does Anyone Recall The Bungalow....

Hi Elmdon Boy and Robert - thank you very much for your responses!! I must admit that - my own family becoming victims of Compulsory Purchase Order in the early 70's - I can't help getting a feeling of considerable satisfaction from the story concerned.... the Gent. being able to give...
  19. Nicholas

Coventry Road, Sheldon.... Does Anyone Recall The Bungalow....

I was recently speaking to someone who worked in an office block on the Coventry Road, Sheldon.... where the Morrisons Superstore now stands. They told me that a bungalow once stood on the site, bizarrely sandwiched between two sets of offices. (See accompanying image). The story associated...
  20. Nicholas

Brummie Ghosts

Hi Astonian, I'm sorry matey, but I don't know any of the people that you mention, I'm afraid..... I don't 'do' spiritualists / mediums at all, I must admit, and we've pretty much never used them on our investigations........