• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Dennis Williams

RIP JENNYANN

Sad new today. Got a message from her husband that Jen had passed away on 7th November in British Columbia.....a great friend to many of our older members....RIP Jenny Ann....
  2. Dennis Williams

Portland Terrace and other 'front to fronts'....

Always had a fascination for these Terraces, Views or whatever they are known as.......I call them front to fronts...like back to backs, only opposite? Anyone got any pics of old ones from yesteryear? City Hospital is surrounded by them! Here's the Portland Terrace aerial to illustrate my...
  3. Dennis Williams

Theatre Stores

Just found this nice painting by Warren Blackham.....any ideas about where and when? It's listed as New Street, but nowt else.....? Doesn't sit right with me....
  4. Dennis Williams

Dingley's Passage

Can anyone help with this mystery please……Dingley’s Passage…..which oddly enough, is still with us, albeit in a very truncated and almost meaningless form….! It has puzzled me for years….if it’s there now, how old is it…I cannot find it on any old maps at all….which I find odd….maybe, of...
  5. Dennis Williams

Waterloo Road and Madcap Lane

A few pics of Waterloo Road, and the quaintly named Madcap Lane off it....Madcap Lane was renamed Graham Road in 1927....see pics and maps for layout and location....
  6. Dennis Williams

C Green &Son No 10 Bull Ring

Hi, came across this photo clip some time ago....and have just revived interest in it's content......namely, is No 10 Bull Ring marked on this accompanying map?.....and is there any other map maybe showing Golden Court known to man?... (mikejee will no doubt know)...was this Shop near the old...
  7. Dennis Williams

Aston Pub

Lovely old pic of a Pub presumably in Aston somehwere....any ideas abouyt it's name and location....?
  8. Dennis Williams

Corner of New Street and Cannon Street

Just a quick query....for years I've noticed this funny sign on the impressive corner building at the bottom of Cannon Street.....what looks like the original sign's been replaced now and is simply a blank area.....but I just wondered if this original, almost Masonic looking jobby had any...
  9. Dennis Williams

Mystery Pub in Halesowen Ye Dolls Head?

Came across this great photo of an old Brummie Bus...and noticed in the background a Pub that had a really weird name...Ye Dolls Head..???? Said to be on the corner of Laurel Road in Halesowen , by the Wilkinson's building.......now gone, but never seen or heard of such a funny pub name....or...
  10. Dennis Williams

High Street query

Came across these shots of the old High Street when researching the Midland Arcade, and as I have a love of Old Lamps, USUALLY outside old pubs, I wondered what the heck this lovely building with these three beauties. which appear to next to No 30 High Street, on the right of the photo, is or...
  11. Dennis Williams

Factory in Bartholomew Street.....

Fascinating Spoon and Fork manufactory.....in Bartholomew Street, which is mostly gone now......anyone ever heard of it......know any more about it? Looks dead cool with all that going on in the back yard....
  12. Dennis Williams

Plumbers Arms Edmund Street/Livery Street

I am doing a piece on Edmund Street, and just love this old photo of the buildings betwixt Margaret Street and Congreve Street...In the first photo you can see the lovely Norwich Union Building on the left, and in the rather run down buildings there appears to be a building with what I think is...
  13. Dennis Williams

Hill Street, Walsall

Someone posted this pic on a Brum Pubs blog, captioned it Hill Street 1903......now I seriously doubt that from the frontage alone....and it's not mentioned by Joe McKenna.....anyone any ideas of where?
  14. Dennis Williams

The Swan and Red Lion, Church Street - Bread Street

A bit of a conundrum for me…..came across this Warren Blackham painting of the junction of Church Street and Bread Street (now Cornwall Street) featuring THE SWAN Inn….and then noticed what I thought looked like the old Red Lion (now the Old Royal) down the street? Now I have done some old...
  15. Dennis Williams

A mystery solved....almost..........

Answer to a curious mystery of mine for many years....finally got round to tracking it down ... So, you are driving up the M40….coming back from David Cameron's pad in Witney (yes, tea was nice and the pineapple chunks delicious)) and just before you turn right at the M42 Junction for Brum….on...
  16. Dennis Williams

A little lost soul.......

Lovely shots here of a little lost Victorian soul in a sea of surrounding modernity....the Canal Warehouse (Off Charlotte Street), which is Grade 2 Listed, so protected....Former warehouse, now part of museum complex.The building formed part of the extensive Elkington Mason and Company's works...
  17. Dennis Williams

HOMEOPATHIC HOSPITAL

For Homoeopaths....whomsoever they may be...... On or about the year 1796, Hahnemann published his famous "Essay on a New Principle for Ascertaining the Remedial Powers of Medicines," and modern homoeopathy—a system of medicine which has for its formula "Similia similibus curentur " ("Let likes...
  18. Dennis Williams

James Doran-Webb,

These majestic horses galloping through the sea may look real but are in fact made from thousands of pieces of driftwood salvaged from the shore. The life-size sculptures are the work of Birmingham-based master craftsman James Doran-Webb, 46, who spent a painstaking six months assembling them...
  19. Dennis Williams

JAMES HURST

Here's one of mine...some may not agree?! Must admit...never heard of this bloke....but his story fascinated me when I saw it on another site...a Brummie Blagger.....wish I had his cheek! Great amusing read just for the musos he met and caroused with... "KING OF THE BLAGGERS - JAMES HURST"...
  20. Dennis Williams

Corbett Hospital, Dudley

Following on from my post on the Dudley Guest, and Russells Hall Hospitals... Corbett Hospital is a National Health Service (NHS) hospital run by The Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust located in Amblecote, Stourbridge, West Midlands, England. The current hospital is an out-patient centre which...