• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. G

No 4 Court, Thorp Street -Slaters Directory of Birmingham 1852-1853

I am interested in 'locating' No 4 Court Thorp Street in early 1850's. My wife's great great grandfather William LOWE is listed as a 'Coach Harness Furniture maker' on page 58 and his daughter Mary Lowe comes under heading 'Academies' on page 4 on Slaters Directory 1852-1853?. On the 1851...
  2. G

Midland Railway Goods Offices Birmingham 1865-1870

Thank you for clarification. I thought that this might be the case,thanks
  3. G

Hi brianthelion. I did not realize where the 3rd parcel office Midland Railway was located in Hall Street in 1860's. I think my great grandfather was more likely to have been a heavy goods clerk at Curzon Street or Lawley Street goods stations. My wife's family have many associations with this...
  4. G

Thank you Heartland for your helpful information. Apparently it was Midland Railway practise in this period that when a young man applied to be a Railway Clerk at his local railway station ,either Nottingham of Derby in this case, in the first few years in his new job he would be offered posts...
  5. G

Thank you for locations of Midland Railway goods offices in Birmingham in 1868 - very useful. I also noticed Lawley Street was mentioned - were there goods offices at this location also? Spent many happy childhood hours at Snow Hill Station (GWR) and New Street Station spotting wonderful steam...
  6. G

Thank you for the 3 possible Midland Railway goods stations in late 1860's in Birmingham
  7. G

Thank you for suggestion. I have checked Ancestry Railway Employment records but there was no reference to Walker Riley
  8. G

I am trying to find out if there were any 'Goods Offices' for the Midland Railway in Birmingham between 1865 -1870? If so are there any records available? Where were the Midland Railway goods offices located in Birmingham? My great grandfather Walker Riley was a new 'Railway Clerk' working for...
  9. G

Coach Smith

Thank you RobT for your explanation of occupation of coach smith . I assume that he must have worked in a high temperature iron drop forge producing fairly sizable components for train coaches somewhere in Birmingham area. I think there were a few carriage works in the Birmingham area in the...
  10. G

Seal Stone Engraver

Demobilization in Birmingham 1918-1920 Found this reference recently:- 'Jewellery Making in Birmingham (1750-1995)' Shena Masson p116 pub Phillimore - '1919 - It was now time to face the huge problem of what was to be done to help war wounded and disabled ex-soldiers? Training...
  11. G

Coach Smith

Can anybody enlighten me on what the occupation 'Coach Smith' entailed back in 1852 Birmingham? Whilst researching my wife's great great grandfather, William Lowe, who resided at No 4 Court, Thorpe Street, I found the reference to Coach Smith in Slater's Directory for 1852-1853
  12. G

Seal Stone Engraver

I am amazed at the wealth of responses to my original posting. We would like to say a big thank you to RobT, pjmburns, Radiorails, and Pedrocut for all your useful contributions. This has given us plenty of pointers to eventually find out where my wife's grandfather Arthur Lowe worked as a Seal...
  13. G

Seal Stone Engraver

Thank you for your information regarding Seal Stone Engraving. My wife will be pleased to hear that the work her grandfather produced was an 'elite' skilled craftsperson. I know that there were very few left in the country with the knowledge and skill required. We took his apprentice pieces and...
  14. G

Seal Stone Engraver

I am trying to find out which 'company' where my wife's grandfather (Arthur Lowe) who was a skilled 'Seal Stone Engraver' in the Jewellery Quarter worked up to the middle of WW1 from 1890 to 1916? He was in the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry and was injured at the Battle of Passendeale on 4th...
  15. G

The Duke of Cornwalls War diary

Thank you for your reply. Also for the information on Birmingham Newspaper Archives
  16. G

The Duke of Cornwalls War diary

My wife's grandfather who lived in Handsworth was conscripted into the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry 1st Battalion in 1916 aged 35 after the Battle of the Somme was over. He was wounded at the Battle of Passendaele on 4th October 1917 and died of natural causes in the family home in 1953. It...
  17. G

Explosion at IMI, Witton late 1960;s

Sorry I don't know the 2 names you mentioned. The titanium vacuum melting furnaces were made by Heraeus not Birlec. In the research I was responsible for the Reactive and Refractory Metals which we then made electrodes for vacuum melting
  18. G

Explosion at IMI, Witton late 1960;s

Between 1963 to 1969 I worked as an IMI member of staff in the New Metals Research which included work on Melting and Casting Titanium Alloys by either Vacuum Arc Melting or Vacuum Electron Beam Melting in a purpose built building at Kynoch in Witton. The casting was done under a 'high vacuum'...