• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. ChrisM

The Buildings of Birmingham, Past and Present (Second Series)

The Smallest Shop in Birmingham The Gullet, Lichfield Street Corner of Stafford Street
  2. ChrisM

Summer Lane

Thanks, Mike and Lyn. It doesn’t look like the place to run a business from. Or at least one of that type. It makes me wonder whether they had access to neighbouring property/properties. Chris
  3. ChrisM

Summer Lane

Thanks, Lyn. No, unfortunately no information whatsoever about 38 Summer Lane. Wish I had. As you say, the move itself seems a very strange one. Charles is mentioned in the 1899 Kelly's as occupant of "The Cedars", Highbury Road (this mention appearing in the "Court Pages" of the Directory but...
  4. ChrisM

Summer Lane

My father was born at No. 38, Summer Lane on 22 November 1899. This came as a bit of a surprise to me when my elder brother unearthed the fact during family history researches. Dad's attitude to the area – of which I became aware during my childhood in the 1940s - was always that it wasn't...
  5. ChrisM

Hot water bottles

I think I experienced that, too. Quite logical really – more mass in a brick than an equivalent volume of water and therefore should absorb more heat – and let it out for a longer period. Principle of the storage heater, I suppose. As I recall it, okay provided you didn’t let it get unwrapped...
  6. ChrisM

Hot water bottles

(Blimey!) That sparks a memory of an immediately postwar device which was essentially a metal box with a electric light bulb in it. I think we had one but I never saw the benefit of it as far as I remember. Might have been regarded as too risky for a child. And certainly wouldn’t have wanted...
  7. ChrisM

Hot water bottles

During the war, I imagine that pre-war rubber hot water bottles would not have lasted for the duration. And supplies of new ones would have been non-existent. For that reason my childhood recollection is entirely of crock bottles. Sometimes one of those made especially for the purpose with a...
  8. ChrisM

Sorry for wrong title. Smallbrook Street. Now corrected. Chris
  9. ChrisM

1960s cars

.....the car for those us who couldn’t afford a Sunbeam Rapier, Richard.....
  10. ChrisM

Malt Shovel Inn, Smallbrook Street, 1869. Edited: Street name corrected. Sorry!
  11. ChrisM

1960s cars

Owned a 1964 Herald in the early 1970s as well (inherited from my mother-in-law). Loved it - it was a sweet little car. I ran it for years. It was eventually joined by my eldest son's first car - almost identical - and a third one for luck and spares. It finally rusted away and I sold it for its...
  12. ChrisM

Shoeing Forge in Deritend, 1869.
  13. ChrisM

Canadian Ex-servicemens Association - Birmingham Branch

Wonderful images, David! Frank Trebble is present in the last (third) image. But I can't see him in the preceding one. Also, with that second one, there are no medals and the flowers on the table are spring ones. Looks like a different venue as well. Probably a separate occasion? Chris
  14. ChrisM

ITS OUR MAURICE'S BIRTHDAY TODAY (sospiri)

All the best, Maurice! Chris
  15. ChrisM

Canadian Ex-servicemens Association - Birmingham Branch

Thanks very much for your interesting contribution, David. There has been a previous thread on this subject, here, with a little bit of further information about this organisation, of which the main contribution was this certificate in the possession of another member, superdad, who has been...
  16. ChrisM

Houses in Edgbaston Street, 1869 Personal note: Oh, for the presence of Google Streetview so that we could rotate the view and look up and down this street! In it we would see a tavern called The Green Man at No.43, run from the 1830s by my great-great-grandfather Isaac Myers (ca 1792-1848)...
  17. ChrisM

Dudley Street Corner of Old Meeting Street, 1869
  18. ChrisM

Presbyterian Meeting House, 1669 (sketched in 1869).
  19. ChrisM

Big brother, little brother

Let's put the clock back by seven months. A lovely summer's day in July 1942. It's a Sunday. The moment captured on a precious roll of prewar colour film. The mother, big brother, big sister - and little brother mucking about behind big sister. Church Stretton. Big brother, part way through...
  20. ChrisM

The Knowle and Dorridge Volunteers

And another, contemporary group from Sutton Coldfield. (Image originally provided by Pomgolian).