• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. N

Rachel Family History

there is a "Rachel family" on ancestry, access to all available- with photos of Lily and all the children (none of which remain alive, unfortunately). Hope this helps.
  2. N

ROBERTS, Thomas

There is a "fletcher family" on Ancestry - not private - which fits the info you've given... hope this helps!
  3. N

Me Dads old sayings

- I think y'all realisethat I'm just back to this site (big grin!) Collars and cuffs, I think, come from the days when these were removable starched items.... and then translates to "White collar workers" workers in later years - am I correct??
  4. N

Lost Photobucket Pics 'courtyards And Yards Of Brum'

....and then in the 1950's - am assuming it was a newly built area (to replace bombed houses?) Dart St - just down from the Brum City football club!!
  5. N

Lost Photobucket Pics 'courtyards And Yards Of Brum'

lovely looking thru these photos..... so am now hoping that there are still some photos around of the following(for my ancestry files!) - Trafalgar terrace, Latimer St (circa 1901), Owen St (Circa 1910), Brighton Terrace, Hope St (circa 1910-1920), Whitehead St (Circa 1920), Pickford St (Circa...
  6. N

Pensions

does anybody have an idea as to what the weekly widows pension (including 3 children) was in 1965???
  7. N

John T Lorton Marriage 1962

Many thanks, will give the link a try....
  8. N

John T Lorton Marriage 1962

Hello, Have found a marriage for John T Lorton to Ann Wormington in 1st Qtr 1962, Birmingham (volume 9c, page 995). As I am in Tunisia, can't order the cert.... Is there a chance that the next time someone passes to the Library, they could check out whatever further info is on the cert for me...
  9. N

National Lorry Driver of the year Award - late '50's/early '60's................

Hi Janice, The link you gve me for the Birmingham round in 1965.... dated 21st May. My dad died 23rd Aug that year - any idea who won? Many thanks! Barbara
  10. N

National Lorry Driver of the year Award - late '50's/early '60's................

OH YES, as was just trying to go to the photo - woudn't work!! Def my dad, thankyou!! Now got it!
  11. N

WOW! Thanks Janice, yes - that's my dad, John Thomas Lorton!! I've tried to screen in on the photos of the newspaper page - but it won't work..... i think that the man shaking hands on the photo on the right is my dad... Any way you can post the actual photo for me????!!! He went, apparently...
  12. N

Thanks all! I am looking for specifics, ie - WHEN was my father (surname Lorton) Lorry Driver of the year - the site given by Janice, many thanks for that - it was interesting!, only has headlines (unfortunately!)... My father died in 1965, so I know it was before then.... Can anyone try to...
  13. N

Hi all, I have recently found out that my father was the regional winner for the Midlands - and went on to win the National Lorry Driver of the year award. This must have been very late '50's, or early '60's.... I think he was working for Dunlop at the time?? I've tried to find out info on this...
  14. N

St Peter's Harborne Lookups

Hi all (especially Shera, who has helped me so often in the past :-) ) Have a bit of a sticky one this time, methinks! I already have several threads concerning the Macquaker family - am trying to find who Alice is the daughter of... I came across a marriage (index card only) for Edmundus...
  15. N

David Macquaker (McQuaker)

Hello Janice, We had thought of that possibility - and it would tie in with the fact that an Alice Macquaker (married earlier in 1932, stating father DAVID MACQUAKER deceased) was the Lorton wife showing at 3/143 High St from where Ellen married...... I have been trying to tie Alice and Ellen...
  16. N

David Macquaker (McQuaker)

Hi all, Already have threads on name, place, and census requests concerning the family of David Macquaker... Please bear with me!! David married Annie Webb, with a daughter Ellen (all confirmed on his enlistment / pension détails) for 11th service Battalion, Worcestershire regiment. His daughter...
  17. N

Bevington - 1932 Back of High St, Bordesley

Sorry, just realised I've done an oopsy! Alice was of course on the 1935 electoral roll - hadn't read properly - Sorry Mike!
  18. N

Hello everyone - firstly thanks for all your efforts on this!! OK - Known facts: Alice Macquaker married Frank Leonard Lorton in Feb 1932, so she is NOT the Alice Lorton in 1930 electoral roll. Alice stated she was living at 7/143, and frank at 3/143. So Mike's info confirms. Ellen (who I still...
  19. N

7/143 High St, Deritend

Hello carolina, Many thanks for your reply - well noted, as Alice's new husband ( marriage 1932 to Lorton) lived at 3/143 High St. But there is definitely a family link that has still to be found - As Alice and Ellen, both married from 7/143 High St in 1932 do not still have parental links! - So...
  20. N

Hello, looking for Macquaker - Alice and Ellen, who gave their address at their marriages in 1932 as 7/143 High St - showing as being occupied by the Bevington family. Does anyone have any connections to Bevington that might be able to throw some light here please?!