• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. devonjim

Windows 10

I guess with hindsight it has been showing signs of a gradual failure.
  2. devonjim

Windows 10

The "left-click" button on my laptop has gone kaput. I have rummaged around and found an old plug in mouse and so back in business. So glad I never throw things away. Can anyone please advise if this is an easy repair or maybe there is a key combination that I could be using in lieu of the...
  3. devonjim

Rackhams Store

My wife was briefly a very junior member of the window dressing team, but at the old Rackhams before it became part of House of Fraser in 1960's
  4. devonjim

Occupations - Disappeared

And watch repairs! At least the one in Barnstaple High St. does.
  5. devonjim

Rackhams Store

Long, long time since I played any cricket but aren't the pads shown right handed?
  6. devonjim

RIP nobby stiles...bobby ball and sir sean connery

We are certainly having a spate of celebrities die just now. Lord Jonathan Sachs broadcaster, author, former chief rabbi. You didn't have to be a follower to appreciate the wisdom of much of what he said.
  7. devonjim

Rackhams Store

Well, I knew what I meant!
  8. devonjim

Rackhams Store

It was a bit like that. But you could have an account there which if I remember correctly gave interest free credit, so I choose to buy some cricket batting pads, I ordered left-hand pads, the rather snooty assistant obviously thought I was winding him up, which went to show that a smart accent...
  9. devonjim

RIP nobby stiles...bobby ball and sir sean connery

And now Geoffrey Palmer aged 93. God rest his soul.
  10. devonjim

Not what they used to be......

Note "the new recipe" ie less tasty. This is right up to date in this week's shopping. A previous for me noteworthy change was "SevenUp" some years ago. I have "always" been prone to migraines and old SevenUp gave quick relief, almost a miracle cure then they changed the recipe and the cure was...
  11. devonjim

Waverley Grammar School

Noel were you involved with the production of Jupiter Rejuvenatus in around 1955?
  12. devonjim

Waverley Grammar School

A class photo around your time at Waverley
  13. devonjim

See Birmingham by Post Card

Not sure but I think it is a lime tree!
  14. devonjim

See Birmingham by Post Card

Used to park up adjacent to that tree some twenty years ago when I was a "white van man" making deliveries for a wholesale pharmacists (LexonUK) to the retailer there on the left.
  15. devonjim

Midland Cycling & Athletic Club

Many years ago I knew a WW1 veteran who lived in Lozells. He would speak fondly of his time out riding with his local cycling club, the Anglesey Wheelers. Anyone have knowledge of this organisation?
  16. devonjim

Waverley Grammar School

My wife was at Waverley 51-56 she remembered the form master Mr "Butch" Frost, who was an English Language teacher. She also recalled a German Language teacher Miss Stansfield(Stanna) but with less affection!
  17. devonjim

Gladstone Road, Sparkbrook

My great grand parents lived within the area shown by RobT, on the corner of Medlicott Rd. and Abbotsford Rd., amazingly the house is still there today(GoogleMap) makes you appreciate what a lottery it was for our relatives to live at that time.
  18. devonjim

Computer help please.

Getting an advert on BHF for "Xtra-PC" What's that about? Has anyone tried it?
  19. devonjim

Hardy Spicers Ltd

Richard. I am too confused! I had not long been at Hardy Spicer when this fatal accident happened. The names are unreliable, certainly not Peter Wheeler could have been John Washbourne.
  20. devonjim

Hardy Spicers Ltd

It must have been in early 1970's that John was killed in a car accident on Pershore Rd. I had only been at HS a short while and knew him as a member of the sales team. ps. Memory kicking in, I now remember the name as Peter Wheeler.