• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Chris B

Co-op high st bham

It was called "THE OAK RESTAURANT" when I worked there in the 60s / 70s
  2. Chris B

Co-op high st bham

3. Chris B

These trying times - 2020

Before the demolition started Myself and a Friend used to visit the building on a Sunday night to see what had been stripped out and what had changed. These items are the original Kalee Regal Arc Lamps that went with the Kalee projectors from when the building opened in 1937, they had been...
  4. Chris B

Rialto Cinema

THE RIALTO CINEMA Stratford Road and Greenbank Avenue. The Rialto Cinema was opened on 3rd October 1927 with Constance Talmadge in “Breakfast at Sunrise” and Marcella Albani in “Circus Life”. It was owned by the Springfield Picture Playhouse Ltd. Seating was provided in stalls and circle...
  5. Chris B

Kingstanding Odeon

THE ODEON KINGSTANDING Located in Kingstanding, a district near Sutton Coldfield to the north of Birmingham, the Odeon stands on a prominent site at the intersection of several roads. The Odeon opened on 22nd July 1935 with Gary Cooper in "Lives of a Bengal Lancer". The exterior of the building...
  6. Chris B

Villa Cross Cinema

THE VILLA CROSS PICTURE HOUSE THE VILLA CROSS PICTURE HOUSE
  7. Chris B

Odeon Perry Barr

THE ODEON PERRY BARR. First Pic is the original frontage Second Pic after modernisation Pic Three the foyer
  8. Chris B

Alum Rock Road Shops

THE GRAND CINEMA Manager Mr Frank Cozens Stadium type theatre (No suspended Balcony)
  9. Chris B

Alum Rock Road Shops

Had a Request from new member John Shaw Hi John, it seems that a lot of the pics on the site have gone for a duck, I think someone hacked into the site or something like that. However hopefully here is the Anthony Road Coronation Pic Hi a few more names to add myself John Shaw Middle Row second...
  10. Chris B

Birmingham Cinema Managers

yes it was, I used to go there with my Grandad to see Disneys Cinderella and for the Saturday Matinees, the other side of the shop on the left was a semi covered queuing area where we all waited for 2pm opening. I had to behave myself because my Mother knew the head Usherette
  11. Chris B

I can spot a young Alf May and Albert Rogers but that is about all.
  12. Chris B

Hi Julia, I only knew a few of the names personally, for instance I worked for Charlie Aston, and Mr Stanford, I used to go to the Grand kids matinee when Frank Cozens was Manager, the other names were filled in for me by Mr Clarke who owned the Victoria Playhouse Group of Cinemas and he was...
  13. Chris B

Windows 10

thanks for the info I have installed it to give it a try
  14. Chris B

Windows 10

it seems o.k Mohawk the only thing that I can see that needs tweeking is that you cannot get a new tab to open with the page that you want at the moment
  15. Chris B

Co-op high st bham

and Alan Rawlins
  16. Chris B

Co-op high st bham

I think the "riveted neatly" refers to the fact if an expensive piece of china got cracked or broken they use to drill and rivet it so that it could continue to used or displayed
  17. Chris B

Windows 10

Just in case anybody doesn't know this. After you have done your WINDOWS 10 upgrade and if you are happy with it don't forget to do a disc clean up as "windows OLD" folder will take up a chunk of memory maybe 20 + GBs which if you haven't got a massive hard drive is taking up a lot of...
  18. Chris B

Birmingham Cinemas

The VILLA CROSS went over to bingo then was set on fire during the Handsworth Riots and demolished
  19. Chris B

Lewis's

thanks for the compliment, glad you all enjoyed them
  20. Chris B

Lewis's

A few More Memories LEWIS'S LTD> Just a quickie, Mr French was the Manager of the HOUSE STATIONERY dep’t, and he and the lad who worked with him used to dish out all the bags and string etc, so down you went with your requisition and if you asked for 6 rolls of Sellotape he would give you 3...