• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Graham

My granddad's, John Sheldon, birth certificate.

In the past I’ve had great help from forum members in finding my past family, especially when I went on a quest to find my long lost half brothers. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10357&highlight=long+lost+half+brothers Now from the Birmingham Council Register Office I’ve...
  2. Graham

Rip tommy godwin

I've had some very sad news today that my old cycle builder and mechanic Tommy Godwin of Silver Street passed away today at The Solihull Hospice. Tommy was twice an Olympic Bronze medallist at the 1948 London Olympics and was Ambassador for Birmingham at this year's London Olympics. Tommy was...
  3. Graham

Provident Cheques

Jim's Christmas poem and message reminded me of Provident Cheques as my Christmas pressie would often be the left-over from mom's cheque. I was so embarrassed to go into a shop and show my Provident Cheque.:blush: Does anyone else have any memories?
  4. Graham

Webb

I wonder if anyone can help me with this. I still know very little about my dad's side of the family. My dad was Dennis Webb, b Oct 1916; I know he had a brother Edwin Webb (jr), b 1904, and maybe a brother Albert. Their parents were Edwin Webb (sr), b 1880? And Alice Beatrice Harding, b...
  5. Graham

(Brummie) speech accent archive

While on holiday in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg I stumbled, in L'essentiel, https://www.lessentiel.lu/multimedia/webpage/story/14138826 on this website https://accent.gmu.edu/ This is my translation from French in L'essentiel. 'This is a site of different English accents currently in use...
  6. Graham

Penny

Can anyone help me and Frederick with our uncle Alfred (Alf) and auntie Florence (Floss) Penny? They had three children, Eric, Rose and Girly. In the 50's/60's they lived in Clifton Road, Balsall Heath, Birmingham. Graham.
  7. Graham

Brummies be proud of this?

On Belgian TV news there was a story today of a woman giving birth to a baby boy on a plane flight. Luckily there were two Belgian doctors on the same flight who assisted with the birth. One of the doctors was a gynaecologist and he said that he had just finished a great course training at the...
  8. Graham

Nostalgia

Here's a nostalgia message ! How's This For Nostalgia? All the girls had ugly gym slips It took five minutes for the TV to warm up Nearly everyone's Mum was at home when the kids got home from school Nobody owned a thoroughbred dog When 3d was a decent allowance You'd reach...
  9. Graham

Brooke tool

I was brought up never knowing who my dad was and when I was about 14 years old, in 1958, my mum remarried. I think that my step-dad, Albert Wittin, was much older than my mum and all I know about him is that he worked at Brooke Tool, I think this was at Tysley (or Tyseley) on the Warwick Road...
  10. Graham

AM I STILL IN THE 21st CENTAURY?

I don't really know where to post this and 'miscellaneous' seems to be my only option for sharing this with you all. As I cycled home from our Flemish village today I saw the local farmer busy as usual in his fields, he lives only just a few hundred yards away from me and it's a sight that I...
  11. Graham

The Wedding II

Langs wedding story reminded of a piece that I wrote earlier this year for my French exams, short but sweet. A day not to be forgotten. Caroline was still in a dream, she had been contemplating having a special wedding ceremony, different from the usual, making this really a day not...
  12. Graham

Webb

Hi all, I have seen fantastic and incredable results on this forum thread by you amazing people, although I'm still tracing my family through www.tracesmart.co.uk I would like to know what you people can find about my dad's side of the family. On the CWGC page...
  13. Graham

Sheldon relatives and family

Hi all, I live in Belgium and have been trying to find news about my cousins from the Sheldon family. We all lived in Grafton Grove, Leamington Road, Sparkbrook; I lost touch in 1966 when I emigrated. Their names are Jean, Patsy, Johnny and Robert. I believe that some were involved with...
  14. Graham

Hop-picking

I know that Rod once asked for memories of hop-picking days, but that was before I joined this wonderful forum. And not long ago I wrote a piece about my own hop-picking experiences, Rod asked me to include this in the history section. If anyone else has memories of hop-picking I would like to...
  15. Graham

Long Lost Half Brothers

Hi, I have tried this before on other sites but this one seems to have more success than others in finding people. I have two half brothers that I have never seen. My dad's name was Dennis Webb and he married a Joyce Dawson, after the war they lived in Starbank Road, Small Heath, Birmingham...