• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. A Sparks

Tupper and Co, Galvanised Iron Makers, Berkley Street

I have just found out about this company with a connection to Birmingham by chance when I was looking for some information about a tin church in the London Borough of Hackney where I live. The church was constructed in 1858 from corrugated iron and is still standing! The company, Tupper and Co...
  2. A Sparks

Birmingham cast iron street signs

An interesting article on punctuation marks used on some of the older cast iron street signs in Birmingham. https://shadycharacters.co.uk/2020/06/miscellany-88-street-signs/
  3. A Sparks

Roy Fisher - Birmingham Poet

There doesn't seem to be an appropriate thread to post this so thought I would start this. I found this poem quoted in the comments box of a seemingly unrelated short doccumentary film on YouTube - it was actually about a hidden river walk in east London. The poem is about the River Tame and...
  4. A Sparks

Cigarette Cards by the Spinet House

I was just reading a blog article - London themed - about sets of cigarette cards which were supplied by the Spinet House, London and Birmingham. Pictures here I had a quick Google as I wondered where they were based in Birmingham but couldn't find any address - does anyone know anything...
  5. A Sparks

Hopkins, Francis John born 1863

I'm trying to find birth details of my Great Grandfather. The first information I have of him is on the 1871 census taken in Clun, Shropshire, his name is down as John Hopkins and age is 8. He is living in the household of Thomas William(s) stepfather and Jane William(s) mother. It gives his...
  6. A Sparks

Caxton Gate, New Street

Does anyone know where the name of Caxton Gate, for the buildings on the corner of New Street opposite what is now the Apple Store (previously the bank and then Waterstones) comes from? I'm wondering if it is something relatively new or has some historic connection? I've had a look on Google...
  7. A Sparks

Rip Ray Thomas Of The Moody Blues

Juts seen that Ray Thomas of the Moody Blues passed away on Thursday. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/we-are-deeply-shocked-moody-blues-star-ray-thomas-dies-suddenly-aged-76/ar-BBI0oiw?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout RIP Ray.
  8. A Sparks

Grandmother's Date Of Death Look Up Please?

Could someone help please, I need to know the full date of my Nan's death in order to get a certificate of cremation from Worcester. I know the year was 1996 and I think it was in the first half. Her name was Elsie M Smith (nee Hopkins) born 1891/2 in Birmingham. She died in a nursing home in...
  9. A Sparks

Getting Logged Out

Just in the last few weeks I keep getting logged out of the website every time I close the window, despite ticking the 'keep logged in' box. Any idea why this might be happening? It is my work computer but it doesn't happen with another forum I use. Thanks.
  10. A Sparks

D J Norton photographs of Birmingham

Not sure if anyone has already posted a link to this site? I got it from the BBC Birmingham and Black Country website this morning. Lots of interesting 'then and now' photos of Birmingham. https://www.photobydjnorton.com/index.html
  11. A Sparks

Crowthers Boutique

Does anyone remember Crowthers boutique in New Street (sorry if it's been mentioned anywhere else before)? I think it was in the corner building that used to be the Kardomah occupying the ground floor and the basement area. They had quite unusual clothes (ladies fashions), alot of maxi style things.
  12. A Sparks

Birchfield Road Primary School

Birchfield Road Primary in Perry Barr (an earlier poster mentioned the senior boys) which was demolished in the mid 60's and where part of the University of Central England (now Birmingham City University) now stands. There was a badge but I can't quite remember what it looked like exactly other...