• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Lloyd

Sweets We Used To Have

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stockleys-Troach-Drops-Aniseed-With-Treacle-Boiled-Sweets-500g/223956955571?hash=item3424dff1b3:g:A-0AAOSwVPBee33s
  2. Lloyd

Where is this?

"In everyday language, puffery refers to exaggerated or false praise. In law, puffery is a promotional statement or claim that expresses subjective rather than objective views, which no reasonable person would take literally."
  3. Lloyd

Centenary Square development 2020

Just looked through the photos of Birmingham centre and how its changed since the last time I was there. *cries* What happened to the Birmingham I knew & loved???
  4. Lloyd

Hobbies 2020

Mine is restoring old buses!
  5. Lloyd

Telephone scams 2020

"How are you today?" always gets my reply "Bloody awful actually, the haemorrhoids are really playing me up at the moment." There's usually a moment's silence before the call ends.
  6. Lloyd

Unknown Medal

There is a Thomas William Deakin at 203 Glastonbury Road, Yardley Wood (right on the junction with School Road) in the 1935 electoral roll. In the 1939 'census' he was an Aero Rivetter and a volunteer air raid warden, stil at 203 Glastonbury Road (Cleeve Road, the next road parallel to...
  7. Lloyd

Where is this?

Nobody has mentioned that the street on the left, where there's a Bedford CA van parked in the 1st photo and is pedestrianised in the later one, is Spiceal Street, so named because spices were sold there many years before.
  8. Lloyd

City Centre Photographs

A pre war close up of Worcester Street shops. (New St station behind, and the market hall [foreground] both lost their rooves to bombing later.
  9. Lloyd

City Centre Photographs

The top photo is Hill Street, with the underpass to Hurst Street, Smallbrook Ringway (as it was first named) going over the top. The building on lrgs was the first part of the rebuilt Smallbrook Street to be constructed, and sat (empty) until the adjoining blocks were erected. I wondered if...
  10. Lloyd

Centrebus

The fare was 2p for anywhere round the circuit.
  11. Lloyd

Elmdon Airport Terminal

Excellent film - very professional. The Austin bomber assembly plant became Metro-Cammell's bus building works after the war, aand is now part of the site of the National Exhibition Centre.
  12. Lloyd

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

The one far left is probably an MG, thte one behind the busman on a cycle is an Austin 10/4 like this:
  13. Lloyd

Birmingham buses

WMPTE changed the shade of blue on the buses becaause it was a 'special' shade, latterly only made for the Corporation - and didn't have a 'BS'(British Standard) number, so different manufacturers came up with shade variations. At repaint times, sometimes buses were just given a "CV" (Clean &...
  14. Lloyd

Moor Street Station

I'd love to have a go in one!
  15. Lloyd

Broad St

It is a demonstration bus, an AEC 'Q' type, very unusual with the engine behind the offside front wheel. It was registered at the factory in Walthamstow, London. Pic below of a chassis.
  16. Lloyd

Broad St

Pre war. The bus has a cream roof, they went to khaki at the start of the war.
  17. Lloyd

Black Country Lorry in Birmingham

NO! How dare you! ;)
  18. Lloyd

Wolseley Car History

It sometimes appears on e-bay or Amazon, thus: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wolseley-Special-Products-1901-1926-book-by-Norman-Painting-hardback-140-pages/123798318085?hash=item1cd2f46c05:g:20kAAOSwo4Vc~tJa
  19. Lloyd

Halesowen Railway

Just put up the page address, or even just the name of the film.
  20. Lloyd

Bread Vehicles