• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. K

Yardley Secondary School Grammar School

I was there between 1974-1981 Jane
  2. K

Yardley Secondary School Grammar School

I was there between 1974-1981 and we used to walk between the 2 blocks of YGS and the Leys but we were in effect one school. There may have been some altercations between pupils of the 2 schools but I wasn't particularly aware of anything too bad. I loved the school and was gutted when it was...
  3. K

Birmingham Groups

He lived on the corner near my Nan's house on Fieldhead Road and my Dad used to play footy with him - they were born the same year. He used to play a banjo for the kids :-)
  4. K

Silver Blades Ice Rink

Have been talking to my friend about how we used to go there in the school holidays - Tuesday mornings between 10-12 I think and it was wonderful - good fun and always good natured. We used to go from 1975/76 onwards. I'm sad to see the photos of it in disrepair - I thought it was up and...
  5. K

MEM Tyseley

My Mum worked in the Dispatch Office for a year ('67-'68) before we bought the little general stores in Reddings Lane and she always says it's the best job she had and wishes she could have been there longer. She worked mornings and a lady called Mary Ward worked afternoons doing the same job...
  6. K

Smiths Crisps Tyseley

My Nan used to work there in the kitchen/canteen - she said it was hard work, but enjoyed working there very much.!
  7. K

Wesley Family

That is probably him. Thanks for your help again. I am writing all this down for future reference. Karen
  8. K

Wesley Family

That's fantastic ! I actually went to see Uncle Sid at Folliott Road when I was about 10 so I remember that one - but didn't know the proper addess. I didn't know what their earlier High Street address was so that's really brill. Also - I don't know what year George died so that might give me...
  9. K

Hill Family

Thank you Margaret - this forum is exceeding my expectations - I'm so grateful for the information - it builds up a picture of things I didnt know about and wouldn't know where to look! Karen
  10. K

Hill Family

Thanks Suzanne - will post here when I get it. Fingers crossed and thanks again, Karen
  11. K

Hill Family

I don't know when Daniel died Margaret but he married Dinah in 1891 and by 1901 she was a widow so I'm going to look into that and yes I'm going to apply for Alfred's birth certificate. Thanks very much for your help and interest. Karen
  12. K

Hill Family

Blimey Suzanne - that's fantastic! Thanks so much for going the extra mile with this! It would seem that they are the same Joseph and that Dinah was married to "them". It gets more interesting by the minute and I am going to apply for Alfred's birth certificate this week and see what's on...
  13. K

Hill Family

Blimey!! the mind boggles here with Dinah and her doings! All the people I could ask are now dead which is a great pity - the last great uncle from this family died last year but it makes you wonder if the 2 Josephs are the same person - this is fascinating Suzanne. I am looking forward to...
  14. K

Hill Family

Thanks Suzanne - I'm learning more now thanks to this forum. Karen
  15. K

Wesley Family

This is them yes - they were living on the Moseley Road when my grandad's birth was registered. I haven't been able to look at the 1911 census thiough so this is very interesting! George aged 2 was my Grandad. On his parents' marriage cert there were only supposed to be 7 years between Sarah...
  16. K

Wesley Family

Thank you!
  17. K

Hill Family

It's interesting that on the 1911 it has them as married - I didn't think they were married from what my great uncle used to say - he said he was just a lodger.... he he... I would say that the Dinah Jane Bramfield is probably the one as Bramfield rings a bell in my memory of what my...
  18. K

Hill Family

Thank you v. much for that! It seems I'm getting closer to what was going on now and will hopefully be able to get the birth certificate of Alfred Hill and get the right one!
  19. K

Hill Family

Our replies crossed then! But yes it would seem that she was a stepmother to them. I'd love to know her maiden name...
  20. K

Hill Family

I have just found a printout of the 1901 census whcih I'd forgotten I had, and this has Jane Hill widowed and a charwoman, with 2 children - Alfred (9) (who I think is my great grandad and Ernest (7) and she had a lodger called Joseph Craythorne which I remember my great uncle telling me about...