• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. R

SALFORD BRIDGE AREA NEW PHOTOS

Wasn’t quite good enough to catch anything but weeds :)
  2. R

Cork Tip Cigarettes

Mort, I don’t think so. Also as a schoolboy smoker I could not smoke the non tipped because I got them too wet! The early tips were pleated filter paper media and then I think it was Stuyvesant that introduced the us Style tip which was a version of what is used now. As a boy for some reason I...
  3. R

SALFORD BRIDGE AREA NEW PHOTOS

Wonderful photos Ray, spent many hours riding around those waterways and trying to fish with a bamboo cane. Great memories, thank you!
  4. R

Windows 10

Diane, you should be able to Zoom & Skype on you iPad. My wife has an iPad Pro and I have a regular iPad. Both work fine!
  5. R

Childhood Memories

Now almost nothing would happen!
  6. R

Childhood Memories

Nico, our coal shed (if you could call it that) was at the back of our house down a narrow entry. I had to go down every day with a coal scuttle fill it up and carry it into the house. When we needEd more coal my mother would leave it where I kept my bike which was my bedroom. No words just an...
  7. R

Tour de France 2020 - 107th. year

oldbrit, never liked Dunlop, used Hutchinson and Avon ( I think I remember Avon giving a couple or tyres if you did well riding them) and those curved needles, always kept a few on hand! (No pun intended).
  8. R

Windows 10

My Lenovo notebook took a little over 6 minutes to update.
  9. R

Windows 10

OldMohawk, I did not move or loose anything either when I updated. In fact I don’t recall loosing or moving with any update.
  10. R

All Souls Church, Birchfield, Stafford.

This is a pretty amazing thread.........SO many connections!
  11. R

CLOTHES AND SHOES OF YESTERYEAR

I spent 50 years wearing suits, blazers ties and white or blue shirts! I wear jeans when I can, not sure about the stretch :) I still have plenty of the other stuff, jeans are comfortable!
  12. R

Prefabs

Mort, and my mother was one of those! She was SO fastidious about those net curtains!
  13. R

Childhood Memories

Diane, for sure on the innocence, I was born in 43! Like Pete said not being a prood, I am amazed at what people do and say, for no apparent reason. I guess we all need to get over that. When I was growing up breaking milk bottles and throwing stones at street lights was really daring stuff!
  14. R

Market Hall

Pete, I thought the same with oysters :cool:
  15. R

Childhood Memories

Diane, I remember picking up the slack actually from anywhere we could find it. And the newspaper, it seemed when I was doing it, somehow I got the fire going but also managed to set the newspaper on fire! My father was not pleased because I always seemed to use the morning paper that he had not...
  16. R

Market Hall

Don’t thing so :)
  17. R

Market Hall

Pete, yes but 60 years ago was a lot of money at least to me but worth it :cool:
  18. R

Market Hall

Pedro, we would have them after the pub closed on a Saturday night with a little pea soup! THe little plates and els are all very low calories and wonderful taste :cool:
  19. R

Market Hall

Wonderful Mort, 4 plates for a shilling!
  20. R

Market Hall

OMG, when I got OT as an apprentice on a Saturday morning, I would take the bus from Perry Barr and buy welks and cockles! Still love that stuff..........thanks for rekindling those memories Pete!