• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. P

Lordswood Boys' Technical School

By the way does anyone remember the Swimming Galas at Kent Street Baths, now reduced to rubble and a car park
  2. P

This was a little fellow. Harkness made a point of congratulating him one morning in assembly for winning some boxing championship
  3. P

Who was the guy who was a very good amateur boxer and won quite a few trophy's etc
  4. P

Sheldon Bombing

When this website below does overcome its technical difficulty it should reveal some very interesting information. One assumes it should be available through the public library service. http://www.warstateandsociety.com/Bombing-Britain
  5. P

aston sheds

(1960) Timbo do you remember the working that used to be in New Street at around 5pm every evening for London ex Glasgow I think. It always seemed to be a Royal Scot in charge, would that Scot have come on at Crewe? I once saw a Jube 'Jellicoe' on it, it looked brand new so I assume it was ex...
  6. P

'Out work'

One of the most fascination aspects of Birmingham Indistrial History is that you never seem to know what will come up next, Birmingham author Ray Shill told me that he had found over 1500 trades in Birmingham!
  7. P

NORTON MOTOR CYCLES

Did you know Ian Paskin Sylvia?
  8. P

'Out work'

One of the best examples of outwork is probably the people that made Nails in the Harborne area From the Bham Council History Site The chief agricultural productions are corn and potatoes, with market gardening carried on to a considerable extent, particularly for strawberries. There is a...
  9. P

'Out work'

My girl friends mother made carrier bags at home in Kings Heath with a sheet metal template it was amazing to see her doing them, they were used in the Bull Ring Market
  10. P

Telephone scams 2020

The postman by himself cannot opt you out of unaddressed mail (circulars), also you can not opt out of mail addressed to 'the occupier' with an address upon it as the RM has a duty to deliver it. The post person also receives a small bonus on all circulars delivered on their allocated rounds...
  11. P

Telephone scams 2020

Same with unsolicited mail. I buy plastic enevelopes from Poundland and post every unsolicited letter I get back to the sender without a stamp, such fun!
  12. P

Telephone scams 2020

I had a phone call asking me if I had been in a car accident, " I said "yes I recently have had a very serious accident and I was killed". She carried on talking with the script until the penny finally dropped. It made my day, cant wait for the next one. If someone phoned me and told me I was...
  13. P

High Speed Train 2

No one really knows how much this project will eventually cost, why, because there has never been a project like this before. Many projects go over budget, have a look at these: https://insuranceoctopus.co.uk/business-insurance-blog/building-projects-that-have-gone-over-budget/
  14. P

Cafe under Lewis's

There was a Lewis's record shop in the subway, I knew the manager there who eventually became the CEO of Betty Barclay and then a well known maker of high class lingerie whose name escapes me! Frank Sinatra visited the Lewis's record shop to promote an album although I am not sure of the date...
  15. P

High Speed Train 2

I think its more important to accept we live in a wonderful country that allows freedom of speech and expression regardless of knowledge or 'Piffle'. I for one support 'Piffle' and consider myself an experienced 'Piffler'!
  16. P

High Speed Train 2

There will be two stations between Curzon Street and Euston 1. Birmingham Interchange 2. Old Oak Common https://www.hs2.org.uk/stations/old-oak-common/ From Wiki Birmingham Interchange is a planned High Speed 2 railway station in the Metropolitan Borough of Solihull, West Midlands, England...
  17. P

High Speed Train 2

The Victorians made an investment which allows us to benefit from the railways we have today, its now our turn!. As Hilary Benn said," we are making a 150 year investment for this country with HS2". Anyone who has a genuine interest in the future of Birmingham (as opposed to self interest)...
  18. P

NORTON MOTOR CYCLES

Bob Shelley was the man that saved Norton and was responsible for the most successful years of the company from 1926 to the 50s. If you had a British car pre 1960 you most likely had tools or a jack made by RT Shelley in Aston Brook Street. A remarkable company overlooked by many commentators...
  19. P

Childhood Memories Of Trains

Swindon Works
  20. P

Childhood Memories Of Trains

I think one can always find exceptions to the norm in regard to operation of locomotives from 1960 to the end of steam. I am thinking more of what locomotives were normally assigned to do. The MAIN purpose of the King locomotives, which were assigned to Laira, Old Oak and Wolverhampton was to...