• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. J

Sweet factory near the BSA

Bit late in the day but only just found this thread. Yes, there was a sweet factory next door to the BSA. The reason i know this is that my father worked at the BSA and when it was bombed during the war, whilst production was stopped he had to go in to pick up his wages. I went with him but...
  2. J

National Service

Continuing my thoughts of events at Syerston pilot training station. I don't know if it happened at other stations, but there, a few days before Christmas, all the officers, including the station Wing Commander, and NCOs served a full Christmas dinner to other ranks. Prior to the dinner we were...
  3. J

Brookvale Park & Witton Lakes

Only just found this thread. What happy memories it brings at the age of 88. Born in Abbey Road [other end of George Road from Marsh Hill and next to Rosemary and St. Thomas Roads] So I spent childhood and later, going to Brookvale park catching tiddlers and sailing my yacht as I got older. I...
  4. J

National Service

I quite agree oldMohawk. the squarebashing at the beginning was not good but thereafter it was great. While up on the flight as described yesterday we also did all the manoeurvres you speak of. Continuing from yesterday Squadron Leader Lewis said to me on a daily basis, " Sorry for that...
  5. J

National Service

Continuing from my last post regarding my flight with Squadron Leader Lewis. As we climbed steadily I was amazed at the patterns the fields formed and became more calm. However that was to be short lived. It was a beautiful sunny August day with hardly a cloud in sight. Suddenly his voice boomed...
  6. J

National Service

Squadron Leader Lewis was, as far as I know, the only officer in the RAF allowed to have his Harvard aircraft polished instead of painted. It was the job of myself and my mate Cox to polish the plane once a month, spending all day Saturday doing so, usually using about 4 tins of metal polish on...
  7. J

Gun Factories / Gun Quarter - Staff Lists ??

May, not sure, maybe this should be put in a different thread, but anyone out there involved in any of the old rifle clubs. For a number of years in the 1950's I was a member of the Handsworth Rifle and Pistol club who had an outdoor range on the Handsworth Golf club. Also member of the 3rd...
  8. J

Nothing beats the original techniques does it. I was just thinking of all the skills involved in various parts of a gun. Cannot realise how much work goes into making a stock for instance, particularly if made to measure. All done for easiest and cheapest these days
  9. J

McKecknie Bothers

Anyone around who had any connection with McKecknies, Brass Founders, in Icknield Port Road. I worked in the laboratory there from 1945 until 1949 when called up for National Service. Certainly no health and Safety measures in place then. Used to dissolve brass drilling samples in nitric acid...
  10. J

Thank for your reply mwOnjm. Very rare see brown barrels. Can you imagine trying to buy all the ingredients for that these days, probably be arrested thinking you was going to blow up Houses of Parliament. Certainly didn't realise you could buy that gun blue, and quite a reasonable price
  11. J

All my fathers family were in the gun trade in London. My grandfather was a stock maker and my grandmother a gun barrel browner. Don't know why they called them 'browners' when all the guns are black. She used to do it in her kitchen having a large boiler in there. My father run away to...
  12. J

Is This Your Motor?

Thanks for the pic of 1932 Morris Minor johnfromstaffs. Yes that was the one. Only one problem with the car, because wooden framework if you went round a corner too fast the front passenger door flew open. My brother nearly disappeared on one occasion.
  13. J

National Service

Continuing my story of my time at Syerston, as said previously it was a pilot training station but was for navy as well as RAF. I was allocated to the Headquarters flight and was engine mechanic responsible for four aircraft and any visiting aircraft. the airframe mechanic was a guy called Kevin...
  14. J

Is This Your Motor?

Anyone with a photo of a 1932 Morris Minor. Bought one in April 1956 for £7.10s. Had a rebore and oversize pistons for £5, gave it a lick of paint and learned to drive in it. Passed test in the September (eventually) and sold it in part exchange for a 1936 Ford 8. Got £25 for it
  15. J

National Service

Not sure if anyone interested in my experiences in RAF on N.S. but will continue. As I said i was posted to Syerston which is situated between Nottingham and Newark. Arriving with two other guys from different stations we were confronted on arrival by guys painting the kerbstones, one white, one...
  16. J

National Service

Continuing my story of my experience of N.S. After completion of training I was posted to St. Athans in South Wales to train as an aircraft engine mechanic. Being mechanically minded I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.. I well remember the first few days when we were confronted with a Tiger Moth...
  17. J

National Service

I only came across this thread last week and only so far managed twenty pages. I thought however i would start to make a contribution. I have so many memories so will split it up. I started N.S. in November 1949 in the RAF going first to Padgate for kitting out and then to Wilmslow for...
  18. J

St philips rc boys home, edgbaston

My memories of the Cottage homes goes back to the late 30s/early 40s. I was not a resident there but lived just off the Slade Road. I used to walk up Fentham Road with my mother as we travelled to Erdington for shopping. Very often the children would be almost marching coming from or going to...
  19. J

Photos - how to upload in posts

Thanks so much for your reply oldMohawk. In fact the ones I was looking at the other day were pre 2011. It is so sad that a lot of our wonderful history has been lost because some lout thinks they are being clever. Bring back the stocks !!!!
  20. J

Photos - how to upload in posts

Due to age not good with computers so need help please. Probably not right thread but searched and cannot find another. It is to do with photos that folk have put in. They talk about the photos but on most there is no actual photo to be seen. What do I do to find the actual photo.