• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. A

Birmingham Battery & Metal Co Selly Oak

Malcolm - sorry I've only just seen this. Thanks for the offer. You;re right, I don't need it just now - but you never know in future! Thanks for getting in touch and best wishes, Annie
  2. A

Prosthetics - an artificial limb many years ago

Thank you - it's not so much the history of the limbs which is reasonably easy to come by, it's wondering about people who were really not well off accessing anything and how and where that might be. I guess I'll have to get on to Selly Oak again as they've been there ages working on...
  3. A

Thank you - another big help :)
  4. A

Hello Lady P - that was very quick, thank you for your reply. I'll certainly look into that. All best, Annie
  5. A

Can anyone help me with this? I had contact with someone at the prosthetics department at Selly Oak but they have so far not seemed keen to be any help... I am wondering if anyone knows by chance, about the fitting of artificial limbs way back to about 1900 - 1910. I know this developed a lot...
  6. A

Malcolm - sorry I have not been on here for a while. Thank you for replying. I often get replies long after I've finished - c'est la vie I suppose. Thank you anyway - Annie
  7. A

Aston Villa Match Report

Thank you so much Eric - perfect. Just what I needed. All best, Annie
  8. A

Aston Villa Match Report

Dear History Forum Football Experts, Does anyone know what became of the Birmingham Sports Argus during WW2? 1941 is where I am just now. I'm on shaky ground here because I know so little about football in general :0 No League football during WW2... Was there enough news of sport even to publish...
  9. A

Hughes Biscuits

Hello All, Does anyone happen to know anything much about Hughes's during ww2? For example what the working week was - 5 days, 6? Or what? Also how did products change with rationing etc and did they have their own air raid shelter on the premises/a cellar? Any light shed of any of the above...
  10. A

The True Horrors Of Ww2

Hello everyone and thank you for this thread. For sharing all these memories, some of them so sad. My Mom who passed away in November was working at Standards in Coventry all through the war. She was not a highly emotional woman ( I'm not sure anyone was allowed to be!) but any mention of the...
  11. A

British Restaurants

ps don't know who decided I was knowledgable - certainly wasnt me!
  12. A

British Restaurants

The canteen in Digbeth n the pic above looks very well set up but does anyone know please, generally whether the cooking was done in British Restaurants on the premises or brought in from somewhere?
  13. A

I'm really not sure how I came to be called 'knowledgable Brummie' on here by the way - I feel anything but!
  14. A

Thank you so much for all this - it's fascinating. Really good of you to take the trouble. One of the things I really need to know (can explain why if anyone's interested!) is about the kinds of accidents. I'm looking at the late '50s, pre 'Elf and Safety - various mishaps have been mentioned on...
  15. A

Thanks so much Vivienne - that's certainly a start - really good of you. I have watched the film before some tme ago but it will be good to do so again. All best wishes, Annie
  16. A

Hello you wonderful people. I've been reading this thread with great interest, partly because I used to live just across the way from the Battery and partly because once again I'm planning a book. (www.anniemurray.co.uk) I would love to know more about this place form anyone who can recall or...
  17. A

birmingham 1969-73

Thank you for posting these wonderful pictures Mike - fascinating and haunting as well. Best wishes, Annie
  18. A

Rag Market

Thanks for your reply Rosie. I am thinking of the first re building. A couple who I spoke to who worked there in the 50s on wards could remember moving into the bus station but did not say exactly when. I think it was when a lot of the rebuilding of the Bull Ring was going on in the early '60s.
  19. A

Rag Market

great to hear Carolina, thank you!
  20. A

Rag Market

Thank you Barmybrummy! Great descriptions. Just wondering if you or anyone remembers exactly which year the Rag Market moved into the bus station (Midland Red I think) while they were building the new one? I understand it was in the early 60s - does anyone know more exactly please? Best wishes...