• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. jonnybrowne

Give us yer donny

My mother in law, who came from Middlesbrough, used to say "San Fairy Ann", so definitely not an expression unique to Birmingham - "donny", which I and my family still use, is a Brummie-only expression.
  2. jonnybrowne

Give us yer donny

"Any road" was used in my family, but "no way" I think is pretty national and came into use in the Seventies.
  3. jonnybrowne

The Midland Hotel (Burlington Hotel)

Agreed - although my grandfather was working at the Midland at the time of the 1911 census he was recorded as being at home in Erdington.
  4. jonnybrowne

Give us yer donny

I've always thought it was just a Brummie expression.
  5. jonnybrowne

Give us yer donny

My uncle tells a lovely story about when he changed jobs years ago, moving to an organisation based in Shrewsbury. On his first day the drive to his new office proved quite complicated and when he got to work he said he'd been all round the Wrekin - his astonished colleague then asked him why...
  6. jonnybrowne

Give us yer donny

Yes, we used to go to the outdoor, have a piece - or a cob - for our dinner, and it was always pikelets, never crumpets - although funnily enough, my wife's from North Yorkshire and also calls them pikelets. Loved the savoury duck story - a very similar thing happened to me a few years ago. I...
  7. jonnybrowne

St Peter's & St Paul's Church Aston Juxta

So you won't know the lyrics to the old Villa song, "A Little Piece of Heaven", which refer to Aston Church... :)
  8. jonnybrowne

St Peter's & St Paul's Church Aston Juxta

My mother was christened there.
  9. jonnybrowne

Give us yer donny

My Nan used to threaten to call Copper Ni-Ni if the kids in our family didn't behave (either that or she'd tell us we'd be off to the orphanage in Pype Hayes Park...). Anyone else come across that?
  10. jonnybrowne

Give us yer donny

My Mother always said FANDAZZYDOBY [/QUOTE Just spent ages wondering where I've heard that before Ed, then it came to mind the Crankies. Yes, I'd say the origin (blame??!!!) lies with the Crankies.
  11. jonnybrowne

Give us yer donny

My Nan never called me anything but Bab, right up to her death in my mid-thirties. When I was a kid I used to wonder if she actually knew my name, but I still loved it.
  12. jonnybrowne

Give us yer donny

I suppose it's not so surprising there are a lot of expressions in common between us and the Welsh is it?
  13. jonnybrowne

Where is This? 145

If it's any help with confirming this, my grandmother was living in 11, Back 23, Henn Street at the time of the 1911 census.
  14. jonnybrowne

Airships over Birmingham ?

My mother used to talk about seeing an airship fly over Birmingham when she was very young and thought it might have been the R101 but that craft apparently flew over the city in 1929 (and crashed a year later) which would have made her three so it's just about possible she remembered it as she...
  15. jonnybrowne

The Midland Hotel (Burlington Hotel)

I too have a family connection with the Midland from around that time - my grandparents met while both working there. My grandad, Ralph Browne, was an accountant and my grandmother, Doris Rowley, was working as a chambermaid.
  16. jonnybrowne

city centre pubs

I used to go in there occasionally, decades ago, and recall it had a railway themed name. Iron Horse???
  17. jonnybrowne

Anyone with Twist and Aston in their FT?

My mother often used to talk of an "Uncle Bill Twist" who, whilst not a relative, was a close family friend. I have found a William TWISS (age 32 at the time) with whom my great grandmother Ann Ray (and my great-aunt Clarissa) was boarding at the time of the 1911 census, together with his wife...
  18. jonnybrowne

The Best family

Does anyone have any connections with the Best family? I'm looking specifically for connections to my 2 x great-grandfather George Best who fathered a child, my great-grandmother Ann Best (married name Ray), with Prudence Dainter. I believe George was born in Birmingham 1834 to Philip and Ann...
  19. jonnybrowne

Edward Charles Browne

Could the nickname be "Sam" as in the Sam Browne belt?