• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. MWS

Double Breakthrough

Had two breakthroughs in the last couple of weeks - one I think through the release of new records so little effort on my own part and the other through sheer doggedness. The first was my 4 x great grandmother who, despite having a maiden name, date and place of birth for, I had been unable to...
  2. MWS

Birmingham Boundary Changes

Couldn't find a thread for this - some of the discussions about the expansion of Birmingham in 1910... https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1910/jul/06/birmingham-city-boundaries ...it's a bit of a long read but some might find it interesting. Some of the reasons in favour could...
  3. MWS

Murder, Mystery and My Family

Don't know if anyone watches this but today's programme was about a murder in Birmingham... https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000by3z/murder-mystery-and-my-family-series-3-episode-7
  4. MWS

1921 Census

If there was any doubt about it being published that seems to have been unfounded. Just noticed this on findmypast... https://blog.findmypast.co.uk/1921-census-2630175088.html Just two and half years or so to wait
  5. MWS

Newspaper Request

I'm not sure if newspapers are still part of a standard membership at findmypast but if so could someone with such please paste a copy of the story that appeared on 25 Mar 1923 in Glasgow or 29 Mar 1923 in London about a Francis Henry Simmonds (b Bham). If it isn't then not to worry. Many thanks.
  6. MWS

Canadian Records

For anyone with relatives who emigrated to Canada, Ancestry Canada are having a free weekend for certain records. You can get to the Canadian site via the drop down menu that is at the bottom right of any Ancestry page. If a pop up message appears asking you if you want to go to the UK site...
  7. MWS

Marriage Look Up

A couple of Oxfordshire marriage look up on Ancestry (records just added) please. First one is William Woodley & Ann Dandridge between 1800 & 1810. Second is Samuel Watts & Leah Heron/Hiron between 1820 & 1825. Places and any other details would be much appreciated.
  8. MWS

Look-up Please

Not a census request but a military record request (couldn't see a section for those). On Ancestry there's a record in 'Uk, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects' for a Francis Henry Simmonds died 1922 in Cairo. He was my grandfather's cousin and seems to have been a bit of a ne'er do well...
  9. MWS

Balance of Probability

For some time (a couple of years) I've been mulling over a possible ancestor but so far I haven't added them to my tree. My 3 x great grandfather was William Hadley born about 1813 in Smethwick. He married Mary Ann Jones in 1834 at St John's Halesowen. There is a non conformist baptism for a...
  10. MWS

Public Family Trees

Since I started my tree about 4 or 5 years ago on Ancestry I kept it private and over that time I was contacted a number of times. Most of the time it was by people that had no connection but every now and again it was by a relative of one description or another - the closest a third cousin. We...
  11. MWS

Name Help

Any ideas please of what the name of number 30 could be... It looks like - T - r maybe - third letter could be an e rather than an o - not sure about the 4th - y. Thanks
  12. MWS

Uniform Identification Request

This is supposedly a picture my grandfather, who served in WW1 but he looks too young in this photo for it to be of that period. Can anyone shed any light on it? Thanks.
  13. MWS

Your Most Exotic Ancestor

Not strictly Birmingham related I suppose but... Where did your most 'exotic' ancestor come from and why did they (if you know) or their descendants come to Birmingham? I would say mine would be a 3 x great grandfather from Holme-next-the-sea in Norfolk (not very exotic) and was probably a...
  14. MWS

Free findmypast

All records this weekend
  15. MWS

Vauxhall Road

Another map request if possible. Of Vauxhall Road, Duddeston late 1800s/early 1900s showing 106 and 12 back 102 and how close the were to Northumberland St please. Thanks.
  16. MWS

Labour Corps

The is my grandfather, William Simmonds and other (unknown unfortunately) soldiers of the Labour Corps from some unknown date during WWI I was told that he was also the cook and I have his Mrs Beeton's cookbook There's a good few recipes that have gone out of fashion and I can't seem...
  17. MWS

Church Lane, Aston

In the 1890s my gt gt grandfather was living at no1, court 16 Church Lane and in 1950 my nan was living at no 25. Don't know if it's the same Church Lane or not but I'm having trouble locating it. Any ideas? Thanks.
  18. MWS

Favourite Family History Photograph

I haven't got many but this is my favourite. It's from 1928 and is the wedding of an aunt from my grandad's first marriage. She was born in 1908 and was 28 years older than my dad. The bride is obviously my aunt, the first man sitting down on her left is my grandad, the woman at her shoulder...
  19. MWS

Grandfather found!

I sent off for certificate last week from Cornwall, which arrived today and it was quite exciting. My mom left when I was young and her dad also left when she was young. I have a few photos of her and just a single photo of him. I did manage to track my mom down early this year using 192.com...
  20. MWS

Smethwick

Anyone know of a place called Holt Hill or Hot Hill in Smethwick. Not sure if it's an area, road or what. It's on a non conformist declaration from 1837 for a birth of 1812. Thanks.