• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Peg Monkey

Peg Monkey Cartoons

Lyndhurst Estate - 1960s A flashing beacon hat might have been a good idea when on laundry retreival duties...... Peg.
  2. Peg Monkey

Lyndhurst Estate

My pegging out and laundry retrieval duties were not confined to daylight hours, or even seasons - on a cold winter's night, with a gale blowing, the rooftop drying area would have been the perfect training ground for an expedition to the Artic. But on a clear night there was a bonus - the...
  3. Peg Monkey

Heaton St Hockley

Superb Lyn, thanks. Peg.
  4. Peg Monkey

Lyndhurst Estate

1960s - Although our flat had an electric drying cupboard my mom insisted on her laundry being dried naturally by fresh air, I was regulary press-ganged into service to assist the pegging out on the roof top drying area, I couldn't complain too loudly, she was on the rota for washing the 11...
  5. Peg Monkey

Peg Monkey Cartoons

Lyndhurst Estate 1960s - .......my mom insisted on her laundry being dried naturally on the roof-top drying area...........:confused: Peg.
  6. Peg Monkey

Lyndhurst Estate

Lyndhurst Estate - 1960s: My family was re-homed to the Lyndhurst in the winter of 1960 (fair amoiunt of snow and ice around) from Heaton St., Hockley and not long before we moved a well-meaning elderley friend built me a sledge. The first real chance to use it came shortly after our move (not...
  7. Peg Monkey

Peg Monkey Cartoons

Lyndhurst Estate - 1960s: Before it was built on there was a great sledging slope alongside Harlech Tower...... Peg.
  8. Peg Monkey

Peg Monkey Cartoons

In the match below we were thrashed, The 1st A must have had at least 3 players good enough for the Villa Youth Team.
  9. Peg Monkey

Lyndhurst Estate

My parents and me moved to The Lyndhurst in 1960 and withing weeks I had joined the 3rd Sutton Coldfield Company, The Boys' Brigade based at The Chester Rd Baptist Church, which was about 15mins walk distant. At that time I was the only lad from The Lyndhurst but within weeks my friends had...
  10. Peg Monkey

Harry lucas school

The Old School, with CGI seasonal enhancement - how it might have looked for at least one day in its lifetime. Peg.
  11. Peg Monkey

Lyndhurst Estate

Hi Cathy, Welcome to The Forum. I lived on the Lyndhurst 1960-72, you will recall the estate was on the approach to what was then Elmdon Airport, living in a tower block, as I was, you were very close to the action when a plane passed over, particularly if you were on the roof hanging out...
  12. Peg Monkey

Peg Monkey Cartoons

I lived on the Lyndhurst 1960-72, you will recall the estate was on the approach to what was then Elmdon Airport, living in a tower block, as I was, you were very close to the action when a plane passed over, particularly if you were on the roof hanging out washing in the roof-top drying area -...
  13. Peg Monkey

Heaton

Thanks Lyn, spent the first 10 years of my life in Heaton St. 1949-1959, but family connections date back much further. Peg.
  14. Peg Monkey

Heaton

Hi Folks, does anyone know which of the Heaton family gave their name to Heaton Street? Peg.
  15. Peg Monkey

Peg Monkey Cartoons

Harry Lucas School Closure - unedited version of post (originally posted on Harry Lucas School Thread).
  16. Peg Monkey

Harry lucas school

School closure.
  17. Peg Monkey

Key Hill Cemetery

Evening Classes in 1902 - Threaders may be interested to know Brookfields is listed on the attached poster for evening classes of 1902 vintage (I've been told JNO is the abbreviation for a name but I can't remember what it is.). Peg.
  18. Peg Monkey

Harry lucas school

It's over a year now since I last banged on about my poor CSE Grade 4 Woodwork result, (https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/harry-lucas-school.39524/page-18#post-588947) I've had therapy and I'm pleased to announce I'm cured - well almost. It's now 53 years, or thereabouts...
  19. Peg Monkey

Peg Monkey Cartoons

It should have been a dining table.
  20. Peg Monkey

Lyndhurst Estate

It's 1968, I'm 19 and still living with my parents on the Lyndhurst, I forged a relationship with Paula, who resided in Burtwood near Brownhills. My motorbike had gone (the novelty of getting soaking wet everytime I made a journey in the rain had long worn off) and I was saving hard to get...