• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. M

250 Newtown Row

Thanks to the both of you. Mike I think this must show the correct property as they lived there 1901 & 1911. Moss
  2. M

250 Newtown Row

I don’t get much time on the forum nowadays, but I hope one of our members can help me. I am looking for the location of 250 Newtown Row as a family member had a tripe/coffee house there in the late 1800s.moss
  3. M

Rose and crown..hospital/brearley st

I remember the Rose when Ken was the gaffer. As a youth I along with my brother Bill played for their football team “ Rosevilla “ when the pub closed we moved to the Stag, keeping the team name until a while later when it became “ Jumbos “ Happy days i loved the area. Moss. Stay in doors and...
  4. M

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted

Hello aston lad I often forget the bottom end of Potters Hill was Potters Lane, but after you kindly pointed it out I had another look at the map and have changed my mind and agree with Lyn and Mike the entry is on Park Lane.
  5. M

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted

Hi mike and Lyn, surely the entry at the reverse of Burlington Hall is on Potters Hill. Moss
  6. M

Pubs of Hockley/Newtown

Do any members remember this pub , It was only 200/300 yards away from The St Georges Tavern(The Lights) It was called The Britannia , on the corner of Tower Street and Hampton Street opposite St Georges Church It was another one with a nickname it was known to all of its regulars as JACK SHAWS...
  7. M

Pubs of Hockley/Newtown

Yes and a first for me Lyn. I came across this today I think it was copied from a book called Lost Pubs of Birmingham.
  8. M

Pubs of Hockley/Newtown

Yes Lyn what a great picture of The Lights, I’m told it got this name because of the huge lights that once hung over it’s doors.
  9. M

the star and garter

Hi Deborah, if the photo was taken during the war it must be a different Star and Garter , the one on the corner of Great Hampton Row and and Brearley St was open throughout the 1950s and early 60s. Mossg
  10. M

Waterworks Street And Grosvenor Rd Aston

You’re welcome Michael it’s pleased me to have brought back happy memories. Moss
  11. M

New John Street West & New John Street

I have just re posted a few pictures on the Asylum road link. moss
  12. M

Asylum Road

Last two
  13. M

Asylum Road

A few more
  14. M

Asylum Road

One or two pictures of Asylum road that I am sure have been on this thread before.
  15. M

Thanks mike.
  16. M

I hope mike sees this maybe he can post a map showing where 226 NJSW was.
  17. M

Hospital Street

Teddy had a brother Stanley who passed away while your dad still lived in the area i think
  18. M

Hospital Street

Hi Elaine, I don’t know about Teddy William’s other than they moved to Chelmsley Wood and Rosie married again. Unfortunately Ralph passed away in 1977 at the age of 40. Regards to you and your dad. Moss
  19. M

Hospital Street

Hi Elaine The cafe on the corner of New John Street West and Hospital street was a corner shop when your dad lived there,the owners were mr and mrs isacc
  20. M

Hospital Street

Hi Elaine. Yes I lived in Hospital street until houses were demolished in the early 1960s. I was born in 1945 but my late brother Billy Grigg was born the same year as Tony”Mo” and was a pal of his. I once saw a couple of photos of your dad at a darts presentation that took place at The Red...