• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. R

Kingstanding

Yes. In fact there are two infectious disease hospitals in the photograph. Both on College Road. One is at the corner of College Road and Hawthorn Road, where the Perry Common Library was to be built. This is on the left hand edge of the photo. The other is on the north side of College Road on...
  2. R

Kingstanding

The farm house stood at what is now the junction between Charlton Road and Dulwich Road.
  3. R

NewStreet Birmingham

Thanks. A copy of the drawing appears as an in-text illustration in RK Dent's (1894) 'Making of Birmingham' where it has the more vague title: 'Lower end of New Street, about 1800.'
  4. R

NewStreet Birmingham

Hi Vivienne. I can see this drawing was a full page illustration. Do you know which book it comes from?
  5. R

NewStreet Birmingham

Yes the name looks like 'Warner.' As a matter of interest what is the 1831 source? :)
  6. R

NewStreet Birmingham

The shop on the left appears to have 'Phillips' written above the door. This is No.89 High Street. In Robson's 1839 directory (10 years after the 1829 drawing), and in Kelly's 1845 directory, No.89 is occupied by Thomas Phillips' Wine and Spirits Merchants.
  7. R

NewStreet Birmingham

The Inn is behind the corner building. It is the Swan Hotel. The Swan was a terminus for coaches travelling between Birmingham and London. The coach we see post No.293 appears to be waiting outside the New Street entrance to the Swan. Here's a plan of the site in 1850, together with a drawing of...
  8. R

The Bell Inn - Lozells Road

No rush! We appreciate all you do. It is a very informative site. Thanks
  9. R

The Bell Inn - Lozells Road

Hi I found this this thread intriguing but unfortunately I cannot follow it as the link in the original post by www.midlandspubs.co.uk has failed and I cannot find any reference to The Bell Inn Lozells Road on the www.midlandspubs.co.uk website. The questions I have are 1) Who was the three time...
  10. R

Smithfield Fruit & Veg W/sale Market 1883

Viv, did you mean the 1903 extension to the market?
  11. R

Villa Road Handsworth

Here's an excerpt form the Oxford English Dictionary definition for 'Villa' to give a bit of philological context :) "Etymology: Partly < Latin villa country-house, farm, etc., perhaps a diminutive from the stem of vīcus village, hamlet, country-seat; partly < Italian villa (whence also French...
  12. R

Villa Road Handsworth

I think the sources are not clear on whether the building named 'Aston Villa' by 1818 was a school at that time. The earliest reference to the building as a school I have seen is in 'Don Abbott's blog where Don refers to John Skally moving his school to Aston Villa in 1825. Whether it was a...
  13. R

Villa Road Handsworth

The 1818 map is included in this blog on the origin of the name Aston Villa on the Birmingham Library Archives and Collections website by Don Abbott: https://theironroom.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/guest-blogger-the-original-aston-villa/ I also attach the map:
  14. R

Villa Road Handsworth

My understanding was that around the late 18th and/or early 19th century it had become fashionable for well-off people to want to name their houses 'Villas.' If so might be that Villa Cottage and Aston Villa (the house/school) were not necessarily named one after the other, but rather both named...
  15. R

Villa Road Handsworth

Just spotted this post from several years ago. Here's what we know about the name 'Aston Villa' being used in the Villa Cross area. Initially it was the name for a house, later used as a boarding school, that stood on the junction of Heathfield Road and Lozells Road. i.e on the site the Villa...
  16. R

NewStreet Birmingham

The building was located at 20-24 New Street at the junction of New Street with Union Passage. Hyam's occupied Nos. 21-3. Hyams closed sometime in the 1920s and the building was taken over by Hornes Bros. The building was demolished in the 1950s. (Information from Roy Thornton's 'Lost Buildings...
  17. R

Lombard Street General Baptist

Can you share the photo you have of the inside of Highgate Park Chapel please :)?
  18. R

NewStreet Birmingham

The 1888 ordnance survey map shows a large open area behind the hotel. This photo of the Hen and Chickens shows the passageway from New Street. So possibly it was access to a courtyard or stables behind the hotel.
  19. R

NewStreet Birmingham

The drawing in post 600961 by Vivienne14 is New Street. Note the Hen and Chickens Hotel in left foreground. Here's another view of the same building from a print of a Samuel Lines 1833 drawing published in RK Dent's 'Making of Birmingham' p336, 1894.
  20. R

NewStreet Birmingham

Which street is this?