• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. S

St Andrews Church Bordesley Green

My grandparents were married in St. Andrews in 1911 Sheri
  2. S

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

Re: re Cadbury's Thank you Brian - I remember Mr & Mrs Nicholls and Mr and Mrs Bunce well as neighbours to my Nan at 73. Your wife would only be 2/3 houses up - I don't remember ever playing with other children when I went there - maybe she is much younger than me. Sheri
  3. S

Pines Express 1950's

I remember travelling from B'ham to Bournemouth (don't know if it went to Poole then) at Christmas 1960 with my 18 month old daughter - she got filthy - it was for Christmas with my parents but we never went back to Brum to live.
  4. S

From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

Sounds familiar Mike.
  5. S

Logging in, logging off

I've been getting logged out for ages - have to back log in again. Sheri
  6. S

Foster Ada

Lets hope they can find some family to properly inter them. Sheri
  7. S

Watery Lane

My mothers family on both sides lived there for many years - she moved away I think in 1931 when her mother died. I have suspicions that some of the men were involved with the gangs as I have been told they were a bit 'rough'. So this programme is of particular interest. Sheri
  8. S

Peaky Blinders - A world away from Downton!

Re: the peaky blinders I watched with interest as my mothers family all come from Small Heath - it wouldn't surprise me if one or two of the boys were involved in gangs. I agree with Wendy about the music much to loud. I think Italians sense of justice in those days was that the murderer paid...
  9. S

Hayward Thomas

Arn't you all kind thank you so much - I did look to see if Charlotte died but couldn't find it - I had thought Honoria was a 2nd marriage. Than ties up my early Hayward family nicely as far as I can go without certificates (unless further info comes to light). I've spent weeks looking for...
  10. S

The spelling of surnames

I have the same with Hayward - can be anything from Heard to Haywood. Sheri
  11. S

Hayward Thomas

I'm looking for any information about Thomas Hayward c. ? 1801 - he married Charlotte Ratheram in June 1821 at St. Martins. Their children were Charlotte c. April 1822 - Thomas c. March 1824 - Charles C. Nov. 1825 - William c. 1827. I have FMP and I can't find any trace of this family except I...
  12. S

Electoral rolls

Thanks Mike - I didn't think they started so early - only property/land owners then I think? Sheri
  13. S

Electoral rolls

This maybe the wrong place - but when did they start electoral rolls please. Many thanks, Sheri
  14. S

William Hayward - japanner

Thank you Mike for the map - now I know roughly where he was - my interest is becuse he employed so many women I think my gt. aunts worked for him - connected by marriage - which I can't find yet!!
  15. S

Mike, thank you so much for the information - it was what I wanted. One more question I can't really tell if Camden St was near the center of B'ham or not - I had a feeling it was near Snow Hill?? I don't know how you found this thread because it hasn't come up in the Trades must have done...
  16. S

In 1881 William Hayward was a japanner/french polisher employing 10 men and 26 women - his work shops were from 16 to 22 Camden St. He lived at Sutton Coldfield - I have the info there until 1911. I was wondering if anybody can find anything on his business - and where is/was Camden St. Thank...
  17. S

who do you think you are

New programmes start tonight - one of favourite. Sheri
  18. S

Birmingham & West Bromwich ancestors

Hi Paul, thank you for your message. Yes I know about John B. of the Pleasant Sunday Afternoons. I told you I had followed the wrong branch of my Blackham's but I did quite alot of research into the West Brom/Handsworth families which, surprisingly, I still have which goes back further than...
  19. S

Birmingham & West Bromwich ancestors

Hi PaulR, I looked at your list of names with great interest as my maiden name is Blackham. My gt.gt. grandfather was John Blackham (on 1841 census says born Birmingham about 1796/6 so age about 45) he married Maria Trussell in July 1818 at St. Mary's Handsworth the Staffs. I spent about 7...
  20. S

Parish's

Thank you all for theabove information - I thought one or the other must be near Snow Hill which is where the early family I am researching had a business - bellows makers and am ab le to pinpoint the correct family. Was Hockley in Warwickshire or Staffs? I shall go on all the sites you have...