• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. superdad3

Harborne

The church opposite Ravenhurst Rd on the High Street was the original Baptist Chapel. The church in South Street was the Methodist Chapel.
  2. superdad3

‘Thanks to diphtheria, a pushy Mum and an MP, we got a house ... and I got a future’

Really appreciated reading your story. Can emphazise with you as I had a similar background but not of the same interest as I'm only a Brummie by adoption. Born in Toxteth and passed the 11+ which was first step towards self-improvement.,
  3. superdad3

Colmore sub-district

Should have mentioned - check on Forum under Loveday Street
  4. superdad3

Colmore sub-district

Hi, think it was Loveday Street Maternity Hospital. Some pictures & info on Google.
  5. superdad3

In the Garden 2020

Yippee, first rose of the season, in our garden! This is Shropshire Lad. Last year was great for our roses, looking at the number of buds forming, this year may be even better. Odd that only this bud is opening - just need a fewdays of sunshine and hopefully the rest will follow.
  6. superdad3

Where is this church?

7. superdad3

Kings Heath

Just looking at some older posts about Kings Heath and asked my wife about this one. Irene says that there has never been a TESCO in Kings Heath but there was one in Moseley Village. She thinks this building was a FineFare supermarket.
  8. superdad3

In the Garden 2020

My wife always keeps any leftover seeds and uses them over the next few years but thinks that fewer germinate which may be why seed companies advise not to keep. Garden has caught up with the season. Here's a phot in ours showing last daffadil, tulips a bit early and an odd wallflower [these...
  9. superdad3

Do You Have Any Up To Date Pics Of Your Pets

This is my Bella - then and now. Found her dumped at the road side back in 2008 - just a 5 month old pup! Took to local dog pound, she wasn't claimed & we were lucky to be able to adopt her. She is now 12 yrs old and just brilliant. Mind you at 40kg she is big even for a german shepherd but has...
  10. superdad3

THESE TRYING TIMES

The crisis is bringing out the best in many people. We are trying to follow the gov. guidance as far as we can - we're old and not in the best of health. Some lovely offers of help from neighbours. Sad to read that our MP [Hall Green] has been warned by the police for breaking the gov...
  11. superdad3

Moseley Letter Box

Owner of the house in question has applied yet again for retrospective planning permission, as he has on previous occasions. Here's what the local residents assoc has to say about it: I write on behalf of the St Agnes Residents Association to OBJECT to this Retrospective Application for the...
  12. superdad3

How did they get their names?

Perhaps it's old age, but I do wish that the breweries had left pub names alone. I liked the old names particularly when they were of long standing and everyone knew which one you were referring to.
  13. superdad3

Hudson's book shops

I knew Hudsons very well for a time. I was a Local college librarian & we bought all our books from them. I then moved on to Birmingham Public Libraries. Again, Hudsons had the contract to supply BHam Libraries with books & what a joy that was. Weekly visit to the Book Purchase Dept to look at...
  14. superdad3

Birmingham ship lights

JOSEPH LUCAS: Copied from ELTA News: 1875 – The Ship’s Lamp After moving to Great King Street in Birmingham (Eventually the site of the famous Great King Street Factory); Lucas began producing its first lamp for ships called the “Tom Bowling”. A patent was applied for in 1875. The patent was...
  15. superdad3

In the Garden 2020

16. superdad3

Moseley Letter Box

And don't forget that the occupant has a long history of ignoring planning permission & just going ahead. Incidentally what an ugly so called gate! Really enhances the street scene!
  17. superdad3

Telephone scams 2020

And another new one.......... Hello, this is the National Grid I need to talk... [at which point I put phone down]. Continue to take care!
  18. superdad3

Shenley Green Youth Centre

Hi Phil, bit off topic but I used to think of Green Meadow Road as in Shenley/Weoley Castle rather than Northfield?
  19. superdad3

In the Garden 2020

Love the picture of snowdrops in full bloom - our are always behind - we must be in a cold spot in Moseley and yet we still have a couple of Eglantine rose buds opening and wallflower buds are starting to open. Really odd weather! Our snowdrops are now in full bloom at last. Always slow to...