• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. C

Willing Shilling Week

Does anyone remember this fundraising week we did when we were Brownies in the 1950s? It was meant to be the Girls version of Bob a Job. I am not sure it would be an appropriate name these days!
  2. C

Frank/francis Murphy. British Army Service Record

I have found it impossible to find out about my Grandfather's military service. I know he joined the 4th Worcester regiment aged 20 on 11/06/1898. Attestation no.5004. I can not trace after that. I know from family that he was in first world war but think he may have left and then re-joined for...
  3. C

Turner's Arms

Does anyone know of a post war pub called the Turner's Arms? It may have closed in the 50's or 60's and/or was run as an outdoor. Not really sure which part of Birmingham but there is one recorded in Turner Street
  4. C

4 Marsh Lane Erdington

Whilst researching my family history I found that my Great Grandfather Bernard Hope lived with his Wife, 2 daughters and 4 other family members at this address in 1901. He was a fried fish dealer. On looking up the address now I see that it is a Pizza and kebab shop! Does this mean that the...
  5. C

Birmingham College Of Food And Domestic Arts

I was one of the first groups of students at the new building in Summer Row when it opened in 1967. I have mentioned the paternoster lifts in another thread but wondered if any other past students remembered them. Someone has mentioned that they had them at Aston University. They were quite...