• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Nico

In the Garden 2020

All these people that get flowers named after them I wonder who they are. Obviously King Alfred daffs, gran said they were the best and King Edwards spuds. Aaron's rod from the bible we have that or we will have. Joseph and Mary Adam and Eve just going over. But Esther Reed. Ena Harkness. and...
  2. Nico

In the Garden 2020

I reminisce a lot, always have. I have been thinking about peoples' gardens that I know. How beautiful they are. And different. Which one it the best etc. And then I thought about when I was growing up, a neighbour said we had the worst garden in the street, which was like water off a duck's...
  3. Nico

In the Garden 2020

I actually propogated a rose I broke by accident. It is better than it's parent. I have done honeysuckle successfully and clematis, but only 3 out of 12 survived, then only one. My gran had green fingers, well half fingers, she lost several. She would just rip something out snap something off...
  4. Nico

In the Garden 2020

Others have mentioned similar. A good storm maybe. It doesn't go right to the end so I can battle the holly and peep round. Whilst doing this the end panel came away so I have shoved it back. We thought he had finished he has stained or treated his side. One gap underneath is so dee I can see...
  5. Nico

In the Garden 2020

I was going to stain Barmy's fence our side, but then I thought, what's the point of staining rotten wood. Against my partner's wishes and my common sense, I should have listened, I went to Wilko dodge the mrons store today, I have only been out food shopping so far. They had a medium can of...
  6. Nico

In the Garden 2020

I thought if I can get something to flower before the oak leaves come it might have a chance in the dappled light. I am looking to see where the sunlight falls.He has been building, I say building loosely, the fence since the start of the Covid, and he has done 2 and a half panels, I also say...
  7. Nico

DISGUSTING FOOD

Apart from uncle's, the only ones I had was out of a tin, at a B&B .Mum had them in Holland served withdiced smoked bacon, and warm beetroot with onions. I will have to try it.
  8. Nico

DISGUSTING FOOD

I don't like salsify or Jerusalem architokes, sweet potatoes or squashes.Shudder. Or mangetouts. Nan said it was for the chickens as was broccoli and now they are marketed to be special. I like broccoli though. Also hate white cabbage she called cow cabbage.
  9. Nico

DISGUSTING FOOD

Well I always hated them till I had some my uncle grew and they were sweet. As are his leeks.
  10. Nico

In the Garden 2020

A very expensive plant that is
  11. Nico

In the Garden 2020

When Barmy has finished his tatty fence between us we are contemplating what we can put to hide it. It is a very shady spot a vee shape (corner) when the oak comes in to leaf but it gets dappled sunlight like now, mid to late afternoon. That spot normally has bluebells, black horehound, london...
  12. Nico

In the Garden 2020

Is it burning bush like in the bible?
  13. Nico

In the Garden 2020

Our friend made a waterfall with terracotta coping stones inverted.Very affective.
  14. Nico

In the Garden 2020

Well they don't bother us. We had a nest on top of the patio door to the kitchen one year and they didn't come in.They got under between the facia board and the flat roof. The roof is allegedly sealed so they wouldn't have much room. We have had bees and hornets too. They got in under the eaves...
  15. Nico

In the Garden 2020

I would say a wasp or hornet gall do they call them? I con't remember where I read that. We have some in the loft they look like inverted mushrooms. between one and 3 inches long. We had a wasps nest 2 years ago up there. It looked like a modern lampshade as big as a beach ball. There was one...
  16. Nico

In the Garden 2020

I think it might sort of heal over with a scar Rosie. I hope so. I have selotaped daffs and hollyhocks. Yes nature is cruel. Baby magpies etc. But it didn't eat them all Greed? Spite? The magpies came on the bird feeder for the first time this year. I have had it about 3 years. I just saw the...
  17. Nico

In the Garden 2020

I bought a bigger bird box late this spring, so got it 'chep' as Nan would say, two quid from Wilko should have been ten. Old box fell apart. So I stained the new one, let it dry out and put it up. Great tits moved in started raising a brood. I was over the moon. Last week a magpie pulled loads...
  18. Nico

Birmingham Back-to-Backs

I so remember the whump! and the bop! Mum used to shout,"the gas's gone out!" dad would groan and go up with his spills. My Nan had a boiler under the sink. Square. With the curtain, a sort of plastic and yet not plastic. Wax almost, floral. You needed to be an octopus to make it work. When I...
  19. Nico

Birmingham Back-to-Backs

I am told my old house had a brew house. It not being a back to back. My aunty's back to back didn't have one. My kitchen must have been extended to incorporate the brewhouse as it has a chimney over the kitchen. I vaguely remember my great gran's house, she had what she called the breakfast...
  20. Nico

Birmingham Back-to-Backs

I was born in the late 50's and out playing early sixties but not on the bomb sites which still existed then. Mum said it was dangerous. My first Dinkys had no glass in the windows , and then they did. Or it might have been a forerunner for plastic. But it would have as been as you say for being...