• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Mrs T

Sutton Park

My friends daughter is over from New Zealand,and over the weekend they went to Sutton Park and came across the cows that roam there. She baffled him with a simple question: Why are their cows there? We have googled but couldn't come up with an answer...... Over to you guys :-)
  2. Mrs T

R.I.P : Harry parkes

Aston Villa stalwart who was voted ‘Player of the Decade’ for the 1940s Harry Parkes, who died on 4 March, 2009, aged 89, was one of the most popular players in Aston Villa’s history. A one-club man, he played during the 1940s and ’50s, scoring four goals in 345 league appearances, plus...
  3. Mrs T

Villa lose another great name...

ASTON Villa were today reeling from the death of former player and manager Vic Crowe at the age of 76. Crowe passed away yesterday after a long illness just 24 hours after Villa legend Johnny Dixon died at the age of 85. Crowe spent 12 years as a player at Villa Park, having signed in 1952, and...
  4. Mrs T

Johnny Dixon

ASTON Villa’s 1957 FA Cup-winning skipper Johnny Dixon has died at the age of 85. Dixon played for Villa from 1945 until his retirement in 1961, making 430 appearances and scoring 144 goals. Karl Cort of the Former Players Association said: “In recent years Johnny had suffered from Alzheimers...
  5. Mrs T

White Brothers

When we were clearing out our shed I came across this which I brought at a car boot years ago,thought it might interest someone. The writing around the top says "WHITE BROTHERS.BOTANICAL BREWERS.ASTON BROOK STREET.BIRMINGHAM." I think I paid 20p for it!
  6. Mrs T

Our best friend

We got Hamish from Birmingham Dogs home in 1997. We knew nothing about him at all. Not even his true name.. Since we've had him we had two children. He is simply the best dog in the world. Not once have we worried about him and the kids been together,he is their baby- sitter when they play in...
  7. Mrs T

One minute silence

On Saturday May 3rd there will be a one minute silence at Aston Villa's last home game of the season against Wigan in respect of Christopher Priest who died on Sunday 20th April.
  8. Mrs T

Cecil Street

In the sub disrtict of St George. Can anyone tell me where that is please.
  9. Mrs T

"You Tube"

I don't know if this has been mentioned before,but it's worth going on to You Tube! I put in "Erdington" and it showed that I could watch 174 videos! A few stupid one's but quite a few that showed how it is now. It has 10 for Stockland Green,(where I am)not as good as the Erdington ones. I'm...
  10. Mrs T

Josiah Mason

Just driven past the statue of Josiah Mason which is on the small traffic island by Chester Road and Orphange Road. Looking very nice he is too, wearing his Easter bonnet complete with bunny rabbit ears! Also been know to sport tinsel at Christmas:D
  11. Mrs T

John Douglas

Tributes to Birmingham author John Douglas Dec 12 2007 By Catherine Lillington, Birmingham Mail A BIRMINGHAM author who wrote about life growing up in the inner-city slums has died at the age of 76. John Douglas's first book A Walk Down Summer Lane sold out after it was published in...
  12. Mrs T

1911 Irish Census

Not sure if this has been mentioned but news from my cousin in Ireland,some info from 1911 is now available on -line for free. www.census.nationalarchives.ie
  13. Mrs T

Walk of stars

Noddy Holder is the next "Brummie" to have a star on Broad Street.
  14. Mrs T

St Barnabas Church Erdington

Such sad news today about the Church been all but burnt down.Hopfully it will rise from the ashes. Personally, as a "non believer" I was quite surprised how saddened(spell?) I was when I saw the smoke and heard was had happen. A wonderful buliding that was soon to make it's 150th year.
  15. Mrs T

Summer Lane or Farm Street

This has 3 members of my family in it. 4th from the left is Maureen Lucas,my Mom,6th on the left is Connie Lucas and next to her is Robert Lucas. c 1950. No idea who the others are...
  16. Mrs T

another site to look at

This might come in handy. https://www.historicaldirectories.org
  17. Mrs T

My names...

Looking for these names,all Birmingham people LUCAS WARD KEMP SAUNDERS VILLAGE GOULD/GOLD