• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. RobT

ARMY AND NAVY TAVERN BARFORD ST

List of premises from 1867 Birmingham Post Office Directory Here's a map for 1890 (41-42 Barford Street South), later map (238 -240 Barford Street)
  2. RobT

Help on area.

Well done Radiorails, just beat me to it, found another photo taken I believe from the same place. Map showing route of tram in first photo, from Radiorails description.
  3. RobT

Help on area.

Could it possibly be outside 296 Heath Street, Birmingham 18? There was a Challingsworth Limited, Iron Founders which had something to do with 'Hercules'. Think there was a pub at 286 Heath Street, called Queens Arms, is it behind the tram? Main Hercules Factories seem to have been in Aston way...
  4. RobT

Coach Smith

A coachsmith was a smith who forged by hand or under a power hammer the iron work used in the building of railway or tramway coaches, carts etc.' repaired, cleaned and tempered coach springs etc. A coach maker, aka body builder, body maker, built up by hand the wooden parts,e.g. framework...
  5. RobT

Tommy Ball Murder

You might want to check this other thread already on this site https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/aston-villa-player-murdered-1920-30s.16484/#post-93615
  6. RobT

Railway infrastructure and engineering development

Yes at least some of Series 1 is on youtube
  7. RobT

13 Adelaide Terrace, Erskine Street

According to the index for that scale of map they're slopes
  8. RobT

The position of this Terraced House reminds me of when we lived in Booth Street, Near Handsworth & Smethwick Station, we were invited to visit a friend who lived in a Terraced House in a similar position near the railway line. At something like 9.05 pm a noise like an earthquake sounded & the...
  9. RobT

13 Aderlaide Terrace is shown where the red dot is on this 1950 map
  10. RobT

Help with Handwriting

My guess would be Gerrard St, Lozells, Birmingham 19
  11. RobT

Aston Church Road pub

Shown elsewhere on BHF this was the Jenny Lind, corner of Aston Church Rd
  12. RobT

36/40 Dudley Street, Birmingham - 1891 Query

Photo was taken apparently in 1899 This one was taken in 1913, posted on B'ham Forum
  13. RobT

Photo is said to be The land and buildings were on Dudley Street opposite Hinckley Street.
  14. RobT

I would agree with that Mike, in 1862 I've got Railway Guard at No.52, and the strange one I've got Kings Head Inn at 56 Dudley Road, yet on my map it's marked as King's Head Hotel on the other side of the road.
  15. RobT

Just found this one Dudley Street with Apple Tree Tavern 1886 from B'ham library
  16. RobT

This is a map of Dudley Street in 1888-89, so 36/40 could be on the other side of Old Meeting Street, later became a filing station
  17. RobT

Another Wenman Street picture request & a query about Edwardes Street, Balsall Heath.

Personally if the bottom house is No.10, I would say nearer to No.2 or 3
  18. RobT

Seal Stone Engraver

In the 1896-97 Pecks Circular Trade Directory it shows this firm 'Joseph Moore' as Seal engravers, they were just off Vyse Street, Birmingham 18. Further information found on 13 Pitsford Street
  19. RobT

Bordesley Green Road - no questions - just an image I'd like to share.

From another forum it was commented that the opening between the houses, just below the lamppost, became an entrance to Hughes Biscuit Factory & the cafe near the arrow was called the 'Colmore Cafe' If that's true is the photo below the same road from a different angle?
  20. RobT

Another Wenman Street picture request & a query about Edwardes Street, Balsall Heath.

The positions of 5/61 Mount Terrace & 1/67 Wenman Street are shown highlighted in yellow map is about 1950. Both are in close vicinity of the Crown inn. Note: The square & round buildings which are shown in the top left of the Mount Pleasant Photograph