• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. D

Summer Lane

In his 1888 Will, Edwin Withers left a list of properties including "Summer Lane numbers 196 -197 occupied by Crisp Woodward." Any ideas as to who Crisp Woodward may have been? Also i notice the sequential house numbering system "196-197"
  2. D

Rope Brush Manufacturing

Not sure if this is right place to look for any sign or advertisement or notice of "Withers Rope and Brush Manufacturing". Edwin Withers started this business c1840s, his son William Edward Withers, took over from 1889 - 1912. William died 1912. William lived in Wheeler street which I see...
  3. D

Flynn George Frederick

Might be Flinn. Fanny Flynn; born 1 Jun 1858, Handsworth, Birmingham, baptised at St Mary's Handsworth 3 Nov 1858. Daughter of George Frederick Flinn b23 Dec 1825 at Kidderminster, Worcestershire. Commercial traveller then brewer (1881). 1861 Lived at 2 Soho St, Handsworth, West Bromwich. The...
  4. D

Welch, Sarah

Sara Welch was a Minor from Easy Row, Birmingham, "a publican's daughter" when she married Edwin Withers 5 Oct 1837 at St Thomas’ church. She gave her address at “Albion Street” and her father as William Welch. (MC Dec 1837 Vol 16 page 391, FreeBMD) I have been unable to find a publican named...
  5. D

Ropery, Farm Street

Looking for 393-395 Farm St, Birmingham, the given address in 1855 for Edwin Withers. Between 1862 and 1866 Withers gave his address as 393 Farm St, Birmingham until in 1868 his address is given a warehouse next door at 384 Farm St, Hampton Ward. This was his "Rope and Twine" business. Looking...