• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Donna

Spears factory in Great Hampton street

Not sure if this would interest anyone but i was trying to research the J Spears factory and found an advert in this https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Wireless-World/20s/Wireless-World-1922-10.pdf page 81 some interesting things and adverts in this leaflet. one of my first jobs on leaving...
  2. Donna

Hit A Brick Wall

Jeremiah son of Thomas and Elizabeth his wife was born the first of July last in Castle Street in the parish of St George’s Bloomsbury and baptised this day publickly
  3. Donna

Various street pics

Does anyone know the name of the pub in this pic?
  4. Donna

Various street pics

This looks like the amount of traffic thats there nowadays!!!
  5. Donna

In the Garden 2020

Hello Donna, As you will read below it is harmless to the rose but is unsightly. Personally I would prune them out, ie prune to the next pair of leaves below the growth and burn. This would ensure that the insects do not mature and live to infect your bushes next year. I would also...
  6. Donna

In the Garden 2020

Yes i thought that but its on a rose with thorns so im not sure. Ive contacted david austin and the rose society as well
  7. Donna

In the Garden 2020

Good morning does anyone have any idea what this red stuff is growing on my rose
  8. Donna

Where to find out how a street got its name?

No but I had a friend called Maureen who used to live on millington
  9. Donna

Then & Now

And there used to be a traditional cobblers shop on the same side as ted Haynes just a bit further up. I still went there for repairs into the ‘90’s but not sure if he still trading
  10. Donna

Then & Now

And ted Haynes greengrocers. He used to have a shop up ward end “the main” as well
  11. Donna

Hodge Hill Girls Grammar School

I Woz ere 1975-1980. Miss Rolfe headteacher got a set of suitcases when she retired. Deputy heads miss May and Joan Sandland. Maths mrs Linda Thomas. English mrs Connolly who was blind and had a guide dog called Blondie who we used to give crisps to. I swear she could see as she used to tell us...
  12. Donna

Gun Factories / Gun Quarter - Staff Lists ??

Our ggfs were Armfield gun manufacturers
  13. Donna

And this is a link to a judo leaflet with the spears company at a different address but also with many other advertisers some names i can remember http://www.madpc.co.uk/~BJA/Magazines/BJA%20Men%20and%20Boys%20Team%20Championship%201974.pdf
  14. Donna

And heres the winding up notice
  15. Donna

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1959/jul/30/factory-hockley-fire
  16. Donna

These photos were taken c1961
  17. Donna

omg thank you so much you are amazing, this gives me lots of research to do. thank you.
  18. Donna

Hello, does anybody have any info on the Spears factory in Great Hampton Row. As this is my surname and today i found a film about the fire in 1959, i would be interested if anyone knew anything about it. i realise most of you wont be old enough to remember 1959 but its worth a try. many...