• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. izzy eckerslike

Commonwealth Games, Birmingham 2022

I think the opening ceremony was excellent but they ran out of ideas for the closing and filled it with singers. It started off saying it represents B,ham in the 1950's a time of great change and then showed the actors dressed in baggy clothes,flat caps and cravats etc from much earlier times...
  2. izzy eckerslike

Windows 10

We still have our Amiga 600 up in the loft. We also had a ZX spectrum for our first computing purchase, Our relatives in New Zealand were unable to get a Spectrum for some weird reason which escapes me but we sent them ours when we got the Amiga
  3. izzy eckerslike

Canals of Birmingham

I can vividly remember going fishing on the Severn for the first time and hearing the throbbing of a large engine and seeing everyone grabbing their gear and scrambling up the bank. Those tankers were really low in the water and the wash came several feet up the bank leaving a soggy mess.
  4. izzy eckerslike

First Driving Lesson

My dad taught me to drive in the 1960's, he had never taken a test himself as he learned to drive in the RAF so taught me all his bad habit's o_O Taking my first test I must have failed in the first few minutes by using the gears as brakes. Then he did the emergency stop which I did, then he...
  5. izzy eckerslike

Bus routes (70s and 80s)

in the 1950's I'm sure I used to catch the 22 in Gregory avenue and it terminated in Navigation st
  6. izzy eckerslike

Bus routes (70s and 80s)

I used to catch the 22 in Weoley castle back in the 1950/60's, fairly sure it went via Selly Oak
  7. izzy eckerslike

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

It was the current Google Earth satellite image although date shows as 08/04 2015, moving a mile along the B,ham road towards Bromsgrove the image suddenly updates to 2021 near Braces lane. The Lydiate Ash island had ongoing works from way before the lockdown and went on for absolutely ages and...
  8. izzy eckerslike

Hello Stokkie, It's odd but a current Google Earth pic shows hardly any traffic on the M5 even if you zoom in, a few cars here and there waiting to join the island. Those of us who were around in the 1960's and working in Birmingham centre will remember traffic jams everywhere at peak times...
  9. izzy eckerslike

Google Earth photo shows very little, if anything, has changed. I lived in Marlbrook, barely a mile from there from 1967 to 1981 and often travelled down the M5 to the Black country for my work. The two roads bottom right are the Birmingham road from Bromsgrove to Lydiate Ash but the other...
  10. izzy eckerslike

In the garden 2022

You do not sure but you most definitely do not add fertiliser until tomatoes actually begin to appear
  11. izzy eckerslike

In the garden 2022

It's breeding some babies, soon they will overtake the Earth o_O
  12. izzy eckerslike

In the garden 2022

Arisaema tortuosum, a hardy Cobra Lilly that reaches 6 feet in my garden
  13. izzy eckerslike

It’s izzy eckerslike’s birthday

Thank you all for your kind Birthday wishes, yaw med my day!
  14. izzy eckerslike

Antique gun shop Pershore road

Hello Madi, that's interesting to know Derek was your dad, did he have a collection of old guns himself? if you can find any old photo's of the shop then that would be good as well
  15. izzy eckerslike

In the garden 2022

Reminds me of scrumping in the 1950's in Weoley Castle, by the bowling green there was a garden with a very high hedge and an Apple tree full of fruit but out of reach. Non of the kids could get at it so it was left alone. I had an idea so I got a long bean cane and fitted a wire ring with a...
  16. izzy eckerslike

In the garden 2022

I've already told you they are Day Lillies
  17. izzy eckerslike

Worst car of the 1960's

My Prius hybrid has engine braking as an option on the selector, it simply closes the valves which normally would be open with the engine off. I rarely use it except on really steep hills
  18. izzy eckerslike

In the garden 2022

Purple Toadflax, "Linaria Purpurea"
  19. izzy eckerslike

In the garden 2022

Those are Hemerocallis which means "beauty for a day" so they are commonly called Day Lillies
  20. izzy eckerslike

Worst car of the 1960's

-------------------------------------------------------- I'm not sure what will eventually happen to all the petrol stations, so many independent ones have gone in the last 10 years apart from supermarket ones, will they become fast charge stations with a small waiting area serving tea and...