• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Winson Green Asylum

Clivesky

proper brummie kid
Looking for the section on Winson Green Asylum. Josie true had some interesting information from 1891...but can't find it now!

Is this what you are looking for?

See also post by pjmburns under All Saints Hospital 1930's:

A search on Birmingham library:

1677600132116.png

1677600155274.png

Appreciate Quote Reply

Last edited:
I've visited All Saints' Hospital in the 1970s singing carols on the wards. More personally Mother was treated as an outpatient as an overdose of L-Dopa for Parkinsons' Disease resulted in mania, paranoia and hallucinations. I'd like to acknowledge the care she received from her psychiatrist who immediately changed her medication with rapid recovery. The history of the Asylum was fearful, but in more enlightened times it became a caring psychiatric hospital.

I've visited All Saints' Hospital in the 1970s singing carols on the wards. More personally Mother was treated as an outpatient as an overdose of L-Dopa for Parkinsons' Disease resulted in mania, paranoia and hallucinations. I'd like to acknowledge the care she received from her psychiatrist who immediately changed her medication with rapid recovery. The history of the Asylum was fearful, but in more enlightened times it became a caring psychiatric hospital.
Thanks Stokie. Glad to hear your mother was properly taken care of. As you may have seen I would like to find out what exactly happened to my great grandfather who died there in 1891 under sadly more brutal circumstances.

Thanks Stokie. Glad to hear your mother was properly taken care of. As you may have seen I would like to find out what exactly happened to my great grandfather who died there in 1891 under sadly more brutal circumstances.
Do you have a death certificate, Clivesky? There are some records from the 1890s in the Birmingham Archives, but they probably won't contain records of individual patients.

Do you have a death certificate, Clivesky? There are some records from the 1890s in the Birmingham Archives, but they probably won't contain records of individual patients.
No I don't. Actually, josietrue had details of her relative in 1891 and the reason for his death in the asylum. Rather gruesome. So hoping to do the same. I'll see what the library has got.

If you would like to share his full name and date of death then we could look on Ancestry or Find my Past? Or you could have the free trial and look for yourself. You will probably need to order his death certificate from the General Register Office.https://www.gov.uk/general-register-office
Thanks Stokkie. Actually, in my local library I can get free access to Ancestry and Findmypast.
That's really helpful info about getting a death certificate.

Thanks Stokkie. Actually, in my local library I can get free access to Ancestry and Findmypast.
That's really helpful info about getting a death certificate.
That's good. Good luck - if there was an inquest then Birmingham Archives should have the papers. Death Cert would be signed by coroner. Stokkie.

Back