• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Allen Pearson

Clivesky

proper brummie kid
I'm looking for details about my great grandfather who died in Winson Green Asylum in June 1891 aged just 45. Does anyone know any more about what happened in the family at this time?

That's a coincidence, born Old Swinford. the son of William Pearson and Mary Weaver? I'm just looking at him in a tree I'm doing.

Sorry, I don't know anything about his death.

If you haven't seen there's a write up of his funeral in the County Express Stourbridge but it doesn't seem to mention anything about the asylum.

It's my cousins tree. I was having a little look for them and became interested in the Casseras. They are descended from Allen's brother Arthur and his wife Mary Cassera, the sister of Allen's wife. So a double relationship.

It's my cousins tree. I was having a little look for them and became interested in the Casseras. They are descended from Allen's brother Arthur and his wife Mary Cassera, the sister of Allen's wife. So a double relationship.
Yes, unusual. Their father Guiseppe Genaro Cassera originated from Vergana on Lake Como.
Arthur had 11 sprogs so I wonder which line your cousin follows.
What happened to Frank Pearson....not much on him.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
They are descended from Arthur's eldest daughter Mary Eugenie.

Frank, Arthur and Allan's brother? He died in 1875.

Have you seen this...

...if you click on 'Roman Catholic Cemetery' under see more Pearson memorials there are more Pearson burials listed including Arthur, Frank and their father William.

The newspaper report is below. Bit difficult to find as it did not seem to turn up for me on a search on the newspaper archive by name.

County express.4.7.1891.jpg

They are descended from Arthur's eldest daughter Mary Eugenie.

Frank, Arthur and Allan's brother? He died in 1875.

Have you seen this...

...if you click on 'Roman Catholic Cemetery' under see more Pearson memorials there are more Pearson burials listed including Arthur, Frank and their father William.
Thanks ever so much. Amazing stuff. Obviously I got the spelling wrong ...not Allen although it looks like that in the censuses and my cousin Allen is named after him!!

Big question -the family has it that Arthur had a large glass business in Stourbridge and was known as 'Great Arthur' because of his huge business interests. ....or is it all myth?

The 1893 Worcestershire directory lists Arthur & Allan Pearson as Cab proprietors at 23 New St, Stourbridge , and Allan as a pawnbroker at 24 New St. No Pglassworks listed under the Pearson name, though there was an E.J.& J, Pearson, Delph & Tintam Abbey fireclay & brickworks , Stourbridge

Thanks ever so much. Amazing stuff. Obviously I got the spelling wrong ...not Allen although it looks like that in the censuses and my cousin Allen is named after him!!

Big question -the family has it that Arthur had a large glass business in Stourbridge and was known as 'Great Arthur' because of his huge business interests. ....or is it all myth?

There father was a glass cutter. Arthur is mostly listed as a pawnbroker or clothier on the censuses.

It must have been their father, William, who first became a pawnbroker. Even though he appears to be listed as a glass cutter on the 1871 census there are a couple newspaper articles in 1868 that mention Francis and Allen as assistant pawnbrokers to their father.

It must have been their father, William, who first became a pawnbroker. Even though he appears to be listed as a glass cutter on the 1871 census there are a couple newspaper articles in 1868 that mention Francis and Allen as assistant pawnbrokers to their father.
Thanks. Yes, it seems the sons carried on the businesses.
A few years ago I found a message from 2007 in findmypast from Eleanor Booth which said that Arthur had a glass business, a pawnbrokers shop and a carriage trade business. Amazingly she also had a fascinating photo of Arthur and all his family from around 1892 in Brierley Hill. Do you have that one? Disappointingly, no photo of Allan and his family.

The photo appears to come as a hint for Arthur and some of his children, though I haven't seen a full size copy of it. A shame there's not a similar photo for Allan.

The photo appears to come as a hint for Arthur and some of his children, though I haven't seen a full size copy of it. A shame there's not a similar photo for Allan.
Please find attached the pdf photo.

I don't have much on Frank Pearson, Arthur's son.

Attachments

• Arthur Pearson and family about 1892.pdf
    471.4 KB · Views: 6
Thanks.

So Edith and Cyril at the front. Sitting down Howard, Mary, Arthur, Mabel and Frank. Standing Harry, Arthur (dad), Mary (mom), Ernest and Agnes. Perhaps.

Sorry - no. I just cropped your pdf image and saved as jpeg then uploaded.
I suspect you just needed to change the file size.

Back