• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kenilworth Road Handsworth

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This image is labelled Handsworth. (I thought Kenilworth Road was in Aston, but maybe it was within Handsworth at the time). The view hasn't changed much today except there are more trees along the road. The majority of the houses still seem to be there today.

The two boys in the photo might have been eyeing up the horse droppings - maybe they were considering collecting it up to flog on. Looks like the photo was taken on a Monday with washing on the line to the left. Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 12
This image is labelled Handsworth. (I thought Kenilworth Road was in Aston, but maybe it was within Handsworth at the time). The view hasn't changed much today except there are more trees along the road. The majority of the houses still seem to be there today.

The two boys in the photo might have been eyeing up the horse droppings - maybe they were considering collecting it up to flog on. Looks like the photo was taken on a Monday with washing on the line to the left. Viv.

View attachment 106659

I guess this is the Kenilworth Road that ran from The Broadway down to Aston Lane, and that the photo was taken from the Aston Lane end of the road. I lived in The Broadway, its address being 'Birmingham 20', which was Handsworth. I also knew quite a few people who lived in Kenilworth Road. Apart from its ethnic population, I don't think the area has changed much. If I remember correctly, if you walked along The Broadway from Witton Road to Davey Road, the roads off it to the right were Woodall, Wenlock, Tintern, Kenilworth and Tewkesbury.

G

I lived in kenilworth Road from 1965- 1981 shame i have no photos though i remember most of our nieghbours
names Mr Eccelston Mr Steele Mr Coates on the Broadway you had the butchers shop /hardware store i always remember Mrs Bradley in the sweet shop Next to the ladies outfitters and Mr Matthews the news agents.
in Aston lane chris s fish and chips victoria wines the transport caffe Mr Panda General stores
we lived at number 35 kenilworth road
i remember the big houses on the corner like yesterday lol although not as pretty now

Back