• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Family in Davey Road, Aston and Perry Barr

hi jayceevee you are quite correct in what you say for the pupils of canterburycross j and I school, I remember going to the annex on birchfeild road, a miss lockheart was the teacher, then on to the church annex at westminter road, mr broadhurst was the teacher there. final year was in the class of the dreaded miss pinches, whose bark was worse than her bite. head masters were mr chapman, look on on imi history site for info., and a mr mullins who had a car which was a ford angila 105e, hope this confirms what you say. in your post. welcme to this forum. kind reguards sidwho

hey I think we must be related. I was randomly looking up my great uncle Frank and birtchfield harriers after my gran told me a story about him running the sub 4 minute mile but not during competition so not recorded. Not sure I’ve even got that right. My mom knows lots about the family history of you want to get in touch. Is Jill or Sue your mother? As Sue is my godmother. Anyway if you want to get in touch I’m sure I could find out more info for you and mom grew up in the same road that Frank did as a kid so she has lots of info. He worked at amol )not sure on spelling but mom remembers that bit plus loads of other info cx Claire

Hello,

My grandma and grandad (Frank and Beat Draper) used to live in Davey Road, near Perry Barr, until they moved out of Brum in the late 50s.

I'd love to know more about what life was like around there, in the days when they met and were first married (late forties and 50s). My grandma went to work at Cannings in the office when she was 14 (that would have been just before the war) and then married my grandad who was an engineer in a factory, but I don't know which one.

He was a wonderful man, and is very much missed. He was in the Birchfield Harriers in his youth, but had to give it up on account of his flat feet! She is very poorly now and not able to talk for long, so I don't want to bother her with loads of questions...

I'd just love to get a flavour of what their lives might have been like, what the area was like, where people went out, what were the people like...

thanks!
Hello,
My daughter told me about your post, I know she's put some information on here for you. Frank Draper was my Uncle, my Mom's (Peg) youngest brother, he married my auntie Jessie (as we called her) and they lived with my Gran, Frank's Mother, next door to us for a year or two before moving into Davey Road, where they lived for a few years before moving to Witney. You must be one of Gill's daughters. I can give you a lot of information but so can your Auntie Sue. x

hi mags8 brummieinlondon made that post in 2009 and is now only a guest member so unless she rejoins the forum will not be able to reply to your post

lyn

Hello,

My grandma and grandad (Frank and Beat Draper) used to live in Davey Road, near Perry Barr, until they moved out of Brum in the late 50s.

I'd love to know more about what life was like around there, in the days when they met and were first married (late forties and 50s). My grandma went to work at Cannings in the office when she was 14 (that would have been just before the war) and then married my grandad who was an engineer in a factory, but I don't know which one.

He was a wonderful man, and is very much missed. He was in the Birchfield Harriers in his youth, but had to give it up on account of his flat feet! She is very poorly now and not able to talk for long, so I don't want to bother her with loads of questions...

I'd just love to get a flavour of what their lives might have been like, what the area was like, where people went out, what were the people like...

thanks!
Hello, Firstly, so sorry about your Mom Gill, what a shock, my beautiful youngest cousin. Your Grandad was my Mom’s brother. we lived in Oscott Road with your Great-Great-Uncle Eddy, next door to Granny Draper and Uncle Bill. I remember them living in Davy Road, it was really lovely in those days. Very quiet, a little bit posh. I remember your Auntie Sue cutting up worms in the back garden. It was while they lived there that they bought their first television, I remember watching Rag, Tag and Bobtail but the screen was so small I had to concentrate on what was happening. Auntie Jessie’s Mother lived not far away near the crossroads. I am seeing Sue and Rich soon so if you want to know anything I’ll get her to send my email address to you.

hi mags...brummiein london has not been on the forum since 2009 and is now only a guest so unless she re joins the forum will not be able to reply to you

lyn

Even though i lived on Witton rd i used to play with school friends on Melrose and Davey rd
does anyone recall a polish family living on Davey rd on the left hand side coming from Normandy rd they had a daughter named Georgia.

Back