• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Apparent random problem with the forum

I reinstalled Vivaldi browser a few days ago and everything was back to normal.

For Warrens information: I believe it was nothing to do with BHF but a glitch in Chrome based browsers.

It would be good news indeed if we knew for certain that the problem was with "them" rather than with "us". We still don't really know why the majority of members using Chrome (including me) never had the slightest difficulty and why, therefore, it should have affected only those members who have reported in (and, presumably, a number of other members who haven't bothered to do so).

Perhaps all members who have been good enough to comment on this problem in the past could let us know where they currently stand. And of course anyone else who wants to tell us of their experience. We will then know whether it's a problem resolved or whether it remains an ongoing difficulty.

(Mods are twitchy over a problem like this – we are not happy about established members finding difficulty in using the site, even though, with a bit of luck, they won't lose patience and walk away, despite everything. But also there will always be a number of half-in/half-out members, as well as new arrivals, who will think that we are not worth the effort and hassle and so will not pursue their membership – which would be our loss. That's why we want to give everyone the best guidance we can and then draw a line under it all when the evidence becomes clear enough).

Chris

It would be good news indeed if we knew for certain that the problem was with "them" rather than with "us". We still don't really know why the majority of members using Chrome (including me) never had the slightest difficulty and why, therefore, it should have affected only those members who have reported in (and, presumably, a number of other members who haven't bothered to do so).

Perhaps all members who have been good enough to comment on this problem in the past could let us know where they currently stand. And of course anyone else who wants to tell us of their experience. We will then know whether it's a problem resolved or whether it remains an ongoing difficulty.

(Mods are twitchy over a problem like this – we are not happy about established members finding difficulty in using the site, even though, with a bit of luck, they won't lose patience and walk away, despite everything. But also there will always be a number of half-in/half-out members, as well as new arrivals, who will think that we are not worth the effort and hassle and so will not pursue their membership – which would be our loss. That's why we want to give everyone the best guidance we can and then draw a line under it all when the evidence becomes clear enough).

Chris
Chris, for what it’s worth nothing changed for me in a USA and I do not use chrome. I use Apple on my iPad & iPhone and MS windows 11 on my Lenovo. When the site goes down I do suffer heavy withdrawal feelings :) joking! Thank you for all that you & the mods do to make life a little more enjoyable!

I still can't have emojis on the Appreciate functon but that doesn't matter. It seems to be OK now on everything else. (Firefox.) Happy days!
Thanks Warren!

Everything suddenly back to normal for me, screen now set to a readable 100% with all fields clickable.
Deary me. I had a Microsoft windows update this morning which I accepted, I'm now back to shrinking the page to get things working on here.

What a palaver, seems obvious it's the updates that are causing the problem.

Deary me. I had a Microsoft windows update this morning which I accepted, I'm now back to shrinking the page to get things working on here.

What a palaver, seems obvious it's the updates that are causing the problem.
RRJ, which Windows are you running? I am on 11 with no issues.

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
Microsoft updates are notorious for causing problems to some peoples computers. Thai why I changed to Linux some years ago.

There has today occurred a problem for some members , which appears to affect only some people (two so far including a moderator). The notification icon and search icon do not work, nor the ability to post on the forum or to access members details via hovering over the avatar. The latter means that it is not possible to send personal messages via that route, but this can still be done (hopefully for everyone) by clicking on the envelope icon. One hopes these problems will soon be solved , but this is just to inform members that this might occur in their case also
Mike

Just in case it is helpful, I had an issue with a Windows and Firefox update yesterday. I could not log in with Firefox, though I could with Edge. The solution was to used Ctrl and F5 to reload both page and cache and, bingo, it solved the issue. I am not suggesting this is the solution to this problem but maybe worth checking out.

I noticed the forum went down for a while earlier this morning. Since it came back up the advert content has gone berzerk.... I'm getting little continual videos popping up in the bottom right hand corner, big banner videos popping up at the top of the page and large videos on the left hand side of the screen. Some of the videos are playing automatically which has never happened before. Does anyone know if anything has changed? At present the site is virtually unusable.......

I'm back to running the screen at 100% with everything working.

My eyes are thanking you Warren.

Back