• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Apparent random problem with the forum

If any other member is still having problems and can post , then please let us know. If ahy that cannot post who are in contact with another who can could request the other member to let us know then we would be grateful
Not had issues, never changed the zoom since 2015 :)

I'm using Safari 17.2.1 on Mac M1 laptop with an ad blocker and at the moment 250% zoom. No problems.

There has today occurred a problem for some members , which appears to affect only some people (two so far including a moderator). The notification icon and search icon do not work, nor the ability to post on the forum or to access members details via hovering over the avatar. The latter means that it is not possible to send personal messages via that route, but this can still be done (hopefully for everyone) by clicking on the envelope icon. One hopes these problems will soon be solved , but this is just to inform members that this might occur in their case also
Mike
I sometimes do, and sometimes don't, get notifications on my e-mail to postings. Don't know why it is sporadic.

What are the small videos that appear at the bottom of my phone screen.
I posted this on another thread,despite two members responding it has been taken down without an answer.

NoddKD

I posted this on another thread,despite two members responding it has been taken down without an answer.

NoddKD
hi nodd the posts were deleted because they were off topic..from memory i think they were posted on the garden thread...members were then directed to this thread which has been going since 13th of january...with regards to the videos you are getting as been suggested on this thread you could try adding an ad blocker...seems to work for a lot of us...hope this helps

lyn

hi nodd the posts were deleted because they were off topic..from memory i think they were posted on the garden thread...members were then directed to this thread which has been going since 13th of january...with regards to the videos you are getting as been suggested on this thread you could try adding an ad blocker...seems to work for a lot of us...hope this helps

lyn
Hi Lyn thanks for replying.
I put it on non Birmingham history initially, I never knew this thread existed.
I will remember in future,I hope.
I'll try your advice on the ad blocker thingy.
Thanks again.

NoddKD,sorted.

Hi Lyn thanks for replying.
I put it on non Birmingham history initially, I never knew this thread existed.
I will remember in future,I hope.
I'll try your advice on the ad blocker thingy.
Thanks again.

NoddKD,sorted.
happy to help nodd...hope it works

lyn

NoddKD
Yes, I'm still getting them on my phone.

If its a forum problem why does it not affect all members ?? I, like many others have no problems. Someone suggested ad blockers, something I do not have.

:) Well I changed my browser, a couple of weeks ago, from Vivaldi to Firefox; that seems to have cured everything. Brave works fine and does not affect Utube which insists on some browsers that I turn off ad blocking.

:) Well I changed my browser, a couple of weeks ago, from Vivaldi to Firefox; that seems to have cured everything. Brave works fine and does not affect Utube which insists on some browsers that I turn off ad blocking.
Any recommendation for phone users, Alan? I don't use my phone actually, but I think many do.
Derek

Firefox is the browser that comes with Linux Cinnamon Mint so it is considered as fairly safe I believe. I liked Vivaldi as it did not track or snoop apparently. Brave also comes into that realm. Linux does not have a registry as Microsoft does, which, as far as I know, is where unwanted things find their home.
Google and Microsoft it seems are very intrusive and I avoid their offerings.
However, Stokkie asked me about phones. I have a mobile phone - non singing and dancing one - so it is used as a phone and not for internet purposes.

Firefox is the browser that comes with Linux Cinnamon Mint so it is considered as fairly safe I believe. I liked Vivaldi as it did not track or snoop apparently. Brave also comes into that realm. Linux does not have a registry as Microsoft does, which, as far as I know, is where unwanted things find their home.
Google and Microsoft it seems are very intrusive and I avoid their offerings.
However, Stokkie asked me about phones. I have a mobile phone - non singing and dancing one - so it is used as a phone and not for internet purposes.
Appreciated Alan. I guess I'd suggest members try to use a laptop rather than a phone if they encounter issues. Linux can apparently be used on a smartphone too, though I've never tried. Derek

I have got the small video again on my mobile. It seems to happen when I get to the end of the 'In the garden' thread. It is not happening at the end of this thread. Tinpot

I have got the small video again on my mobile. It seems to happen when I get to the end of the 'In the garden' thread. It is not happening at the end of this thread. Tinpot
They are ads Tinpot. You could try an adblocker? (That's my guess based on accessing the garden thread without a blocker).

Edit function has vanished
This is all I see now
1708352166944.png

Very odd as it has suddenly come back o_O On this thread but not on others.

Back