• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

George Street West

Hi all - just for accuracy, would you class George Street West as Hockley, Ladywood, Winson Green, somewhere else? Or is Spring Hill an entity in its own right? Grateful for any input.

Cheers.
Hi for me all our letters received were addressed 1/135 George St. West, Hockley, Birmingham 18. As youngsters we called it Brookfields. If you travelled the whole length of George St. West, crossing Hingestion St, you arrived at the great Spring Hill turning right you came upon Dudley Road Hospital, which I visited many times as a young lad because Brookfields was one massive playground with demolition, canal boat yards trains and many more adventurous sites Ah happy days.

Hi for me all our letters received were addressed 1/135 George St. West, Hockley, Birmingham 18. As youngsters we called it Brookfields. If you travelled the whole length of George St. West, crossing Hingestion St, you arrived at the great Spring Hill turning right you came upon Dudley Road Hospital, which I visited many times as a young lad because Brookfields was one massive playground with demolition, canal boat yards trains and many more adventurous sites Ah happy days.

Attachments

• today.jpg
    today.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 10
  • today iv.jpg
    today iv.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 8
Laurencefoley, I was born in 1952 at Coralie Street lived there until an house fire in 1968. I attended Brookfield's School from 1957ish - 1963 then went to H N R

You say if you walked along George Street West you crossed Hingeston St you arrived at Great Spring Hill, I think you will find its Spring Hill.

Did you also attended same school ? if so when ?

Nick Phillips

Hi I remember so much of my youth because they were great days. The photos are exceptional, I could be one of those guys, takes me back to a time where nothing really mattered except friends and adventure. I think the spoiler came when the publican at the laurels pub was murdered, I remember to this day the feeling I had and the thoughts that his children would no longer have a father. Amazing. I still think of that day with the reporters, whom I think came from The Sunday Mercury, asking questions who knew what, where and when. Anyway lets get off that, Pictures are Brill Thanks for Sharing

Laurencefoley, I was born in 1952 at Coralie Street lived there until an house fire in 1968. I attended Brookfield's School from 1957ish - 1963 then went to H N R

You say if you walked along George Street West you crossed Hingeston St you arrived at Great Spring Hill, I think you will find its Spring Hill.

Nick Phillips
HI I meant "THE GREAT" Springhill apologies, If I had turned left I would have come to "THE GREAT" Springhill library and if I had crossed to my right I would have come to "The Great" Monument Road swimming baths Take care

HI I meant "THE GREAT" Springhill apologies, If I had turned left I would have come to "THE GREAT" Springhill library and if I had crossed to my right I would have come to "The Great" Monument Road swimming baths Take care
HI yes I did attend St Pauls excellent days from 63 to 68 when it closed. The main teacher I really remember is Mr. Arthur and of course the head MIss Bradley, I think that was her name. Had an Old elongated hut from which we had lunch, yes many memories especially on the way to the school or home from the school charging through the cemetery and coming out by the mint. GREAT DAYS! forgive my constant use of the word great but they were GREAT.

Nick Phillips
Hi when you say HNR do you mean Handsworth New Road for boys?

Nick Phillips

Laurencefoley,
Yes after Brookfields I went onto Handsworth New Road, my mother gave me no say regarding the move but the fact that my two older brothers also went too H N R was probably the reason.

Nick Phillips

I remember that road your school was on. It started at Soho Road could have been Holyhead Road not sure, and ran all the way to Summerfield park or vice versa. I remember because I had no money for the bus, no 11, and walked it all the way up past the prison and to the park. Thanks for giving me another great memory, have a great weekend.

I remember that road your school was on. It started at Soho Road could have been Holyhead Road not sure, and ran all the way to Summerfield park or vice versa. I remember because I had no money for the bus, no 11, and walked it all the way up past the prison and to the park. Thanks for giving me another great memory, have a great weekend.

Laurencefoley, you have lost me little on this. Was you replying to myself?

Handsworth New Road School the lower school was on ( Victoria Rd ? ) close to Soho Road. The upper School was closer to Summerfield park but I would not use the word close.
The number 11 bus does still travel close to both buildings.

When my dad gave me bus fare I would happily walk and buy a few sweets.

Nick Phillips

Spring Hill
Brondrange, I like your note (HOCKLEY BORN). I was born in 1952 at Coralie St I say I'm a Hockley lad.

I think Ladywood and Winson Green are no where near George St West. Spring Hill is a road between Clissold St and Ickneld St.

Can I ask where you lived?

Nick Phillips

Back