• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Nelson Street, Ladywood

R

Richard Brookes

Would anyone happen to have picures of the old back-to-backs that were in Nelson Street, Ladywood. I believe that this was just down the road from Summer Hill Row. Possibly on the site where the NIA is now.

Cheers
Rich.

hi richard
nelson street is not on the nia site it just falls short of that and but yes it does
fall between summer hill and kingedwards rd ladywood and the school was in nelson st
there was a head master there during the early years and he later became the princel for the education minister for schools for birmingham
and yes there is loads of pic of the back to back of the street onthe forum and of kingedwards rd
i actulay lived at 243 king edwards rd next to the chimmney sweep man
for the area
he even bought the cros keys pub in steward st at springhill then sold it to his son-in law
besty wishes Astonian ;;;;

That's great, thanks for the info Astonian. I'll have another mooch through the forums to see if I can find any. PS I went to Nelson Primary School for a while in the early 80's, i'm sure it was the same school my grandmother went to when she lived in Nelson Street. Cheers Rich

hi richard
put a request to our postie or john houghton on this forum and they most likely geytyou one up postie
is brillient he,s got most of brum from way back
and your grand mother would most certainly remember mr Ingram he became the the minister for education
and he was good at his job he gave up his post may years ago to become minister
he gave his postion up as head master of nelson st many years ago i think itwas in the fifties
all the best Astonian ;;

I'm afraid my nan passed away in the mid 90's. But my dad may remember her talking about her time at school. I just found a website on Ladywood, and some info on Nelson Street School. Funny enough it mentions a Mr Brookes teaching there, it's perhaps a relative!
Cheers
Rich.

Hello, I am researching my family history. In 1905 my great-grandfather was living at 1 Back 67 Nelson Street, Ladypark as this is the address given on my grandfathers birth certificate. This address does not apear on the 1911 census (although the back properties for 65, 66 and 67 appear). I am wondering if anyone could tell me how this street was set out so I could look at adjoining properties just to check if the omission is a transcription error. Alternatively does anyone know if something happened to the property?
Many thanks
Margarita

Thanks Mossy, that's a good site, i've seen it before.

Thanks for the map - I had not been able to find one - Margarita

Funnily enough, I left Nelson Primary School the same year this post was made. Was searching around Google for Nelson Primary School and came across this forum post and I just had to reply. Haha!

Hello, I am researching my family history. In 1905 my great-grandfather was living at 1 Back 67 Nelson Street, Ladypark as this is the address given on my grandfathers birth certificate. This address does not apear on the 1911 census (although the back properties for 65, 66 and 67 appear). I am wondering if anyone could tell me how this street was set out so I could look at adjoining properties just to check if the omission is a transcription error. Alternatively does anyone know if something happened to the property?
Many thanks
Margarita
The Gaul Family lived at 63 Nelson Street do you know anyone who knew any of them?

Hi looking for people from Nelson Street. Photos of the pub etc My family were from no 63. Thomas Elijah and Lydia Gaul Thomas died in 1919 aged 44 whilst serving in the Yorkshire regiment .Their sons, Brothers in arms Private Bernard Gaul, Army, killed in action 1918 aged 21, Petty Officer Sidney Gaul, Royal Navy ,killed in Action on HMS Bluebell 1945 aged 44, Corprol Dennis Gaul British Special Operations, contracted TB while serving with Titos Partisans in 1944 died in 1948 aged 28. Private Leonard Gaul, Navy R. M. L. I Ww1, Then joined the Army for Waziristan campaign 1919-21 and Ww2. Thanks for your service lads. Also Gertie, Olive and Jessie. I have some photos from what might be Nelson Street 1936 with God save the King across the road. Thanks.

Back