• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

57 St Paul’s Square building history

olibobs

Brummie Tour Guide
Does anyone have any information on The Old Chapel in St Paul’s Square in the Jewellery Quarter please

Does anyone have any information on The Old Chapel in St Paul’s Square in the Jewellery Quarter please
Not much historically as yet. It was built in 1851 and converted into twelve apartments in perhaps 2004. There are vaulted ceilings and skylights. 150 year leases on the flats from 2004. According to the Birmingham Evening Mail, despite the name the building has no religious significance, but seems to have acquired the nickname because of its location near the church in St Paul's Square. The front wall with tall windows resembles a chapel in shape.

'... It was once an electrical accumulator charging station. Before the Quarter was as we know it now, large batteries were transported to St Paul's Square by horse-drawn carriage to be charged here. As the structure, erected in the 1850s, is made of thick brick with tall windows designed to protect it in case of explosion, the nickname The Old Chapel is one that firmly stuck, given it looks like a place of worship.' Evening Mail 2017.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/property/history-jewellery-quarters-most-lavish-13875650
Photo is second item.

Last edited:
Not much historically as yet. It was built in 1851 and converted into twelve apartments in 2004. There are vaulted ceilings and skylights. 150 year leases on the flats from 2004. According to the Birmingham Evening Mail, despite the name the building has no religious significance, but seems to have acquired the nickname because of its location near the church in St Paul's Square. The front wall with tall windows resembles a chapel in shape.

'... It was once an electrical accumulator charging station. Before the Quarter was as we know it now, large batteries were transported to St Paul's Square by horse-drawn carriage to be charged here. As the structure, erected in the 1850s, is made of thick brick with tall windows designed to protect it in case of explosion, the nickname The Old Chapel is one that firmly stuck, given it looks like a place of worship.' Evening Mail 2017.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/property/history-jewellery-quarters-most-lavish-13875650
Photo is second item.
Wikimapia says:
'The design comes from their purpose. As the large, heavy batteries were liable to explode, these buildings had thick walls built from engineering brick, and tall thin windows to allow the explosion to escape. As power generation was improved, the building became used for wharfage purposes, with timber being offloaded from the canal further down Ludgate Hill. It later became a warehouse until 1941 when it was bombed. However, the building survived due to the nature of its construction and went back to its roots as an electrical substation.

In 1998, it was sold to Pilotage who then converted the building into 12 apartments, designed by Nicholls (should read Nichols) Brown Webber Architects.' http://wikimapia.org/16270519/The-Old-Chapel

12_75.jpg
Picture Wikimapia which is an Open Content source.

Last edited:
From GE The Old Chapel is shown as 57 St Paul’s Square. Looking in Kelly’s from at least 1868 to 1890 this was Alfred Bennett, Manufacturers of roasting jacks.

I know in the burial grounds as what there are a lot of the Betts family there who a lot of the streets are named like Mary St Charlotte St etc

From GE The Old Chapel is shown as 57 St Paul’s Square. Looking in Kelly’s from at least 1868 to 1890 this was Alfred Bennett, Manufacturers of roasting jacks.
So this purpose-built accumulator charging station was only active from 1851 to 1868 and then becomes a factory. I tend to forget how rapid industrial change was in Birmingham. I'm only familiar with accumulators from old wireless sets, but I suppose these could be used for lighting or small machines? And sorry, what's GE?

GE, lazy way for Google Earth street view.
I took it that the Old Chapel was only used for electrical purposes sometime before 1940 and the entrance of Newey ? For most of its early existence looks to have been Manufacturers of roasting jacks. If this is so it could cast doubt on whether it was purpose built ?

For those like me who don't know what an accumulator did:

"Before the Quarter was as we know it now, large batteries were transported to St Paul's Square by horse-drawn carriage to be charged here. As the structure, erected in the 1850s, is made of thick brick with tall windows designed to protect it in case of explosion, the nickname The Old Chapel is one that firmly stuck, given it looks like a place of worship" Source : Birmingham Mail

For those like me who don't know what an accumulator did:

"Before the Quarter was as we know it now, large batteries were transported to St Paul's Square by horse-drawn carriage to be charged here. As the structure, erected in the 1850s, is made of thick brick with tall windows designed to protect it in case of explosion, the nickname The Old Chapel is one that firmly stuck, given it looks like a place of worship" Source : Birmingham Mail
Most familiar these days in the car battery which has lead plates suspended in a weak sulphuric acid solution. Milk Floats had lead acid cells connected together. Currently wheel chairs and fork lift trucks. Emergency lighting can be run off accumulators. If they are charged too quickly 'over gassing' can occur, so modern units are sealed and recharged by professionals.

1851 sounds too early for a purpose built charging station, accumulators come into use much later. As for Alfred Bennett, who Kelly’s show at 57 from at least 1868 to 1890, he gets a mention of being in St Paul’s Square in 1842 and 1831. In 1901 there is a mention of the successors to Messrs Alfred Bennett at the Lower Grounds, Witton.

Yes, the lead-acid accumulator was only invented in 1859, though there were various earlier acid batteries, but these could not be recharged. I now think that the supposed origin of the factory as a charging station is spurious. The meat roasting jacks I've seen are mechanical, some clockwork turning the spit. Newey could have dealt with accumulators from the 1940s I suppose.

Looking back through the old threads about St Paul Square- There is an intriguing entry on May 7th 2011 by "Astonian" about being shown a tunnel that ran from the Church to the "Old Chapel"??? - Sounds unlikely given the information posted...

Birmingham History / Memories & Nostalgia / Neighbours & Streets / St Paul's Square / page 1

Last edited:
From GE The Old Chapel is shown as 57 St Paul’s Square. Looking in Kelly’s from at least 1868 to 1890 this was Alfred Bennett, Manufacturers of roasting ja
It was Bennetts in 1855 also . Also in 1849 and 1845 editions, though here, nos 55 and 56 are placed the same side of the junction with Charlotte St as no 57.

Looking back through the old threads about St Paul Square- There is an intriguing entry on May 7th 2011 by "Astonian" about being shown a tunnel that ran from the Church to the "Old Chapel"??? - Sounds unlikely given the information posted...

Birmingham History / Memories & Nostalgia / Neighbours & Streets / St Paul's Square / page 1
I suspect Astonian who is sadly no longer with us was shown the cellars of an old building. Stories of monks and tunnels are common in England and I've been told them myself about other locations. The dissolution of the monasteries was before 1541. A folk memory or fiction attached to many old buildings.

The term Old Chapel seems only to be mentioned in the 1990s.
The architects of the converted building Nichols Brown Webber have a metal sign 'The Old Chapel' attached to the front wall. Perhaps it was their coinage? Redbrick gothic was fashionable in the 1850s for non-ecclesiastical buildings too.

“Alfred (Bennett) was an office clerk in 1851, living at home. He married Elizabeth Beilby at Edgebaston in 1859. After his father's death he resided at 57 St.Paul's Square, Birmingham, where he was a domestic implement and roasting rack manufacturer employing 19 men, 5 boys, 1 woman and 2 girls in 1881, and a domestic servant. He was a man of genial and generous disposition. [C.B.Lloyd] Very stout, a churchwarden. He was one of the executors of the will of Richard Lloyd. He died on 8 November 1883. He left an estate valued at £3500 to his wife and executrix. [will] and was buried at St.Pauls Birmingham.”

Was Private Alfred H a grandson of Alfred (1831 - 1883). Private Bennett's father must also have been named Alfred.

Screenshot_20240105_111940_Chrome.jpg
Source : British Newspaper Archive

Back