• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Early Woolworths shops in Birmingham

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
An unusual angle in this 1930s photo, showing Woolworths directly ahead. There’s a dispensing Chemist on the corner (right): Boots possibly ?

Viv.

7DF89294-1BC8-49D2-AF9C-CA51EAF0DEA4.jpeg

In the 1920s Woolworths built its store on Spiceal Street in the Bull Ring in two phases. The store was started in 1921. Due to its success, an extension to this store was added in 1924

Sadly, two known accidents were reported with two fatalities during the building period. The victims were Alfred H Brown and Joshua Kynes.

Screenshot_20240103_191902_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240103_190811_Chrome.jpg
Source : British Newspaper Archive

This was the extended Woolworths shop in September 1959. Image by Phyllis Nicklin. The whole site would soon be demolished as the Bull Ring underwent redevelopment. A new replacement Woolworths was built further up the hill.

Building the new Woolworths as part of the new Bull Ring Centre (to the right of the old Woolworths) can be seen in the second image below.

Screenshot_20240103_201522_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240103_202144_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Woolworths had an interesting policy in the 1920s/30s of extending their shops onto adjacent sites instead of building anew to cope with business expansion. From the Woolworth Museum site :

"During the Twenties as the leases of the original buildings had expired, instead of renewing, it had sought a larger freehold site nearby. Where possible it had bought out the existing landlord, acquired adjacent property and extended".

This is how that worked at the Spiceal Street site.
Screenshot_20240104_150245_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I remember my mother taking me for tea and cakes to the original store in the bull ring about 1956/7 something like that.

I also remember her telling me off for tapping my spoon on the rim of the cup after stirring in the sugar.

I was of course copying someone else on an adjacent table but was told that was no reason for me to do it....

Never did it again....

Some sweet memories of Woolworths. Never heard of Betty Lou and Tokalon make-up. Tokalon doesn't sound like a name I'd choose for make-up

Screenshot_20240104_161703_Chrome.jpg
Source : British Newspaper Archive

My understanding is that the German group of Woolworth's, which was spun off from the main Woolies group at the same time as the UK group, is interested. Our group went bust in 2009 but the German one still carried on and is still going. They are looking to expand into Britain and have bought the brand, internet domains, and so on.

Coincidentally, I attended a talk yesterday by one Graham Soult, who has been photographing and documenting the post-closure fate of many Woolworth stores and has produced a report on this which is free to download.

1707053217495.jpeg
This is a converted Woolworths in Nashville on 5th ave. It is an old building converted in art deco retro style with a super restaurant and dance area. They could not use the original name for copy right reasons. The food and ambiance are great they did a wonderful job of preserving that old woolies feeling.

Thanks for interactive map. Tried it and it works. Does Leroux have the same for other areas? I tried leroux.co.uk and just get a blank page.
Thanks for your interest in the map, unfortunately I have only covered the Aston area and still have many streets in Aston to add, would love to cover the whole of Birmingham but it would be a mammoth task and beyond my computer skills I think.

Thanks for your interest in the map, unfortunately I have only covered the Aston area and still have many streets in Aston to add, would love to cover the whole of Birmingham but it would be a mammoth task and beyond my computer skills I think.
If you can tell me how it's done, I'll take a stab at doing some.

With Easter approaching, I've been reminded of the giant Easter egg that was raffled at the Kingstanding (Hawthorn Road) shop in the 1960s. It was decorated with pastel coloured flowers and twirls, and wrapped in masses of cellophane. Used to be perched high up on a shelf above the counter (the stand-alone counters in the middle of the shop - not against the wall). Alongside it would be smaller versions of the large egg. Wonder who made these eggs?

That’s triggers a few memories Viv. I recall there was the occasional shop that would show off a large easter egg in the window. I am quite sure there was one in Erdington but cannot remember where.

There was the chocolate factory on Station Road that had a retail window, but am sure this was just a confectionary shop in its own right.

With Easter approaching, I've been reminded of the giant Easter egg that was raffled at the Kingstanding (Hawthorn Road) shop in the 1960s. It was decorated with pastel coloured flowers and twirls, and wrapped in masses of cellophane. Used to be perched high up on a shelf above the counter (the stand-alone counters in the middle of the shop - not against the wall). Alongside it would be smaller versions of the large egg. Wonder who made these eggs?
I do not remember that shop, the one I do remember was the one near the Bull Ring. It seems we would go 5here every Saturday in the ‘50s. To the market and flower ladies (a friend of my mom). BTW they lived VERY well. And they is I was good to Woolworths. They always had lots of seasonal stuff decorated with cellophane and plastic do dads.

Back