• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Punch Bowl Kingshurst

mrbluesky1957

master brummie
Sadly now permanently closed, I'm informed.
I assume it was built in late 1950s or later?
Anyone remember names of landlords?
I recall Des Sydenham during the 80s. Was a decent popular pub if I recall being a local.
Sadly not a pub in Kingshurst. Toby Jug, borderline. Thanks.

I think that the Punchbowl closed around 2 years back and the site is now empty as the building was demolished in early 2023. It is a shame as there are no pubs close by, bar the Toby Jug, just inside the parish boundary.

As an aside, myself and a few friends have been having 'First Friday' pub crawls for the last 20 years. This is a 5 pub crawl on the First Friday of every month. We've done loads of the West Mids areas (Black Country/Brum/Solihull/Coventry/Rural Staffs/Warks/Worcs).

In 2015, I had moved to North Solihull and was elected as a local Cllr. I put forward the East Brum/N.Solihull area to see what was there. We started at the White Hart then moved to the Centurion, then the Punchbowl o Toby Jug and finished at The Kingfisher. (We missed the Labour Club out). It was 4.7 miles of walking, our longest yet. Just shows how few and far between pubs are becoming and in particular in that area.

I think that the Punchbowl closed around 2 years back and the site is now empty as the building was demolished in early 2023. It is a shame as there are no pubs close by, bar the Toby Jug, just inside the parish boundary.

As an aside, myself and a few friends have been having 'First Friday' pub crawls for the last 20 years. This is a 5 pub crawl on the First Friday of every month. We've done loads of the West Mids areas (Black Country/Brum/Solihull/Coventry/Rural Staffs/Warks/Worcs).

In 2015, I had moved to North Solihull and was elected as a local Cllr. I put forward the East Brum/N.Solihull area to see what was there. We started at the White Hart then moved to the Centurion, then the Punchbowl o Toby Jug and finished at The Kingfisher. (We missed the Labour Club out). It was 4.7 miles of walking, our longest yet. Just shows how few and far between pubs are becoming and in particular in that area.
very sad to see the rapid demise of our locals...not like years ago when you could walk down summer lane for instance and there was a pub on every corner..i think in the 1960s there was 16 or so so pubs...all info is on the summer lane pubs thread...no wonder most of the men never made it home for dinner :D

lyn

very sad to see the rapid demise of our locals...not like years ago when you could walk down summer lane for instance and there was a pub on every corner..i think in the 1960s there was 16 or so so pubs...all info is on the summer lane pubs thread...no wonder most of the men never made it home for dinner :D

lyn
Ha ha! There does seem to be a difference in the Black Country, where quite a fe wlocal pubs are doing fairly well. Cultural difference, maybe? . I am from Tipton, but live in Solihull now and lived in Chelmsley Wood until a few years ago. In that part of the world, as I pointed out, there are almost none left.

In the 19th Century, it is said West Bromwich had 150 pubs.

Ha ha! There does seem to be a difference in the Black Country, where quite a fe wlocal pubs are doing fairly well. Cultural difference, maybe? . I am from Tipton, but live in Solihull now and lived in Chelmsley Wood until a few years ago. In that part of the world, as I pointed out, there are almost none left.

In the 19th Century, it is said West Bromwich had 150 pubs.
have to agree with that mark...on my travels i have also noticed just how many black courntry pubs are open and doing well

lyn

Yes, on a crawl last year around Oldbury there was live music in two of 5 pubs and we probably walk 1.5 miles in between first and last pub. The Est Brum/North Solihull area around Kingshurst and Chelmsley Wood is a desert, for pubs, let alone good pubs.

Back