• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dorrington

Sam65

proper brummie kid
Do you remember anyone with the surname Dorrington? Soho Road Handsworth in 1930 to 1960 newsagent shop number 178
Lady called Margaret and her sister Edith worked there for my nana Sarah Dorrington.
I remember as a child Baines cake shop and Tibbetts Fish Mongers.
Thanks

Moved to surnames thread.

178 Soho road Handsworth 1939

John Dorrington b 5th June 1881 Newsagent tobacconist.
Helen S b 29th November 1880
Cyril b 1906
Eileen b 1913

John Dorrington married Helen Sarah jones in 1902., she died in 1968.

John Dorrington was a footballer (goalkeeper) playing for Birmingham( later 1905 called Small heath )now Birmingham city FC
he later coached youth team at Aston villa and died in 1944 he was often called Jack.

1911 census, 61 Swanage road
John Dorrington age 29 Footballer
Helen S age 30
Cyril age 3

The census says 2 children 1 alive. this was possibly Jack Dorrington born the year before Cyril and died shortly after birth.

Last edited:
Moved to surnames thread.

178 Soho road Handsworth 1939

John Dorrington b 5th June 1881 Newsagent tobacconist.
Helen S b 29th November 1880
Cyril b 1906
Eileen b 1913

John Dorrington married Helen Sarah jones in 1902., she died in 1968.

John Dorrington was a footballer (goalkeeper) playing for Birmingham( later 1905 called Small heath )now Birmingham city FC
he later coached youth team at Aston villa and died in 1944 he was often called Jack.

1911 census, 61 Swanage road
John Dorrington age 29 Footballer
Helen S age 30
Cyril age 3

The census says 2 children 1 alive. this was possibly Jack Dorrington born the year before Cyril and died shortly after birth.
Many thanks for reply- Jack was my granddad but died before I was born - interesting information - I knew my nana Helen had a baby boy who died of measles aged 6 months so this was baby Jack but I didn’t know he was her first born before Cyril as I’ve dont have the census- my uncle Cyril died in 1981. Please could you send a copy of the entry with Baby Jack or let me know where I can view it.

There is no record of baby Jack on census as he was born between 1902-1911.

His birth was recorded March qtr 1906 Volume 6d page 272
his death recorded Sept qtr 1906 Volume 6d page 182 both Aston

The numbers are general register numbers for obtaining certificates

Many thanks for reply- Jack was my granddad but died before I was born - interesting information - I knew my nana Helen had a baby boy who died of measles aged 6 months so this was baby Jack but I didn’t know he was her first born before Cyril as I’ve dont have the census- my uncle Cyril died in 1981. Please could you send a copy of the entry with Baby Jack or let me know where I can view it.
Do you have any images of Jack who played football? I have one but not the best, also he's in his later years. I am collecting photos of old Small Heath players.

I have a photo of grandad Jack in WW1 uniform and 2 team photos.
I attached the photos from ‘my photos’ file To send to you. I tied a few times - no luck!
but it stated ‘ The uploaded file is too large’ please could you send me the one you have - thanks
any ideas please?

Right click on the photo and open with Paint. (Assuming you are using windows).
Top left of toolbar about 3 buttons in it says "resize" - I usually choose 20 or 25. Then save as (so you still have your original). Photo should then upload.

I attached the photos from ‘my photos’ file To send to you. I tied a few times - no luck!
but it stated ‘ The uploaded file is too large’ please could you send me the one you have - thanks
any ideas please?

Attachments

• John Dorrington.png
    John Dorrington.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 5
any ideas please?
I have sent you a message.

thank you so much - I’ve never seen this photo of my grandad - I will try to send you my photos if same issues I’ll ask people I know how to do it

Right click on the photo and open with Paint. (Assuming you are using windows).
Top left of toolbar about 3 buttons in it says "resize" - I usually choose 20 or 25. Then save as (so you still have your original). Photo should then upload.
Thank you I’ll try later

In the photo on the right Jack Dorrington is the one with the cap, back row. he was the goal keeper.
When he retired from Birmingham City due to injury, he was the manager of the Holte Hotel, Aston.
After that they moved to 178 Soho Road Handsworth, after Jack died in 1944, Helen my nana stayed in the tobacconist until around 1962.
A lady came in the shop called Mrs Buck, she bought her snuff every week. may be some relatives in Birmingham?
Margaret and Edith sisters worked for my nana. Very busy newsagents especially on a Saturday with Argus deliveries and people queuing up to buy it. Many different tobaccos in jars and shop sold a range of pipes.
I think shop has been demolished - it needed lots doing - no inside toilet like many in those days.

Back