• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Harper family

Lyn Walker

knowlegable brummie
Have 2 Harper death certificates and unable to prove connection, one is for George Henry Harper 25 July 1945 aged 68 years, states a bookmakers clerk, is this possible the George Henry a professional footballer, states M E ? May Evelyn Harper present although on her death certificate it states widow of George Henry Harper porfessional footballer, the other one is for Elsie Harper 12 July 1936 aged 40 years, the wife of Albert Edward Harper, George Henry had a brother Albert Edward and I wondered if this was his wife, any help would be great

George Henry Harper 1877-1945 professional football player born Birmingham
May Evelyn wife 1882 born Birmingham
Dorothy May Harper 1903 daughter born Grimsby.
address 1 St Free Place Coventry Road Small Heath..this is 1911

Drusilla Harper 1840-1927
Albert Henry Harper 1882 Pawn brokers assistant single son
Harry Harper 1886 Professional football player single son
Elsie Harper 1897 a granddaughter.
address 93 Kingston Road Small Heath. this is 1911

In 1891
Priscilla Harper
abt 1840
Wife
George Harper
Female
Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Aston
St Andrew
Bordesley
Warwickshire
England

Hope you understand this they are all the same family

Last edited:
There is a marriage in December 1915 Aston ref. 6d 114
Albert E Harper to Elsie Chambers.
There is an Elsie Chambers born 1896 Aston.
Marriage cert will give Alberts age and fathers name.
To avoid paying for a certificate that is not your Albert state that the father must be George.

THnakyou for this, I will try and send for the certificate, I live in Canada but can still do it online
Lyn

Have 2 Harper death certificates and unable to prove connection, one is for George Henry Harper 25 July 1945 aged 68 years, states a bookmakers clerk, is this possible the George Henry a professional footballer, states M E ? May Evelyn Harper present although on her death certificate it states widow of George Henry Harper porfessional footballer, the other one is for Elsie Harper 12 July 1936 aged 40 years, the wife of Albert Edward Harper, George Henry had a brother Albert Edward and I wondered if this was his wife, any help would be great
George Harper did play for Small Heath (Now Birmingham City) I may have a photo! Do you know where he died? Thanks

Lyn, I registered with the site to make a contribution to the debate about George Henry Harper, pro footballer. He was with his wife May & daughter Dorothy at 1 St Ives Place, Coventry Road, Small Heath, Aston, Warwickshire on the 1911 & on the 1921 censuses. He was also with his wife at that address on the 1939 Register. On the 1921, he was an unemployed labourer, having previously worked at the BSA Armoury. In 1939 he was an invalid and formerly a bookmaker's clerk. I shall be adding some data to the Howes Families website.

Back