• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

W H Edmonds GROCER 353 Coventry Road

Simon68

master brummie
Evening,
Once again Birmingham tokens seem to fall into my possession.

This time I have a 6d and a 2d check token for W H Edmonds, a Grocer and Provision Dealer, at 353 Coventry Road, which being a non-Brum, I assume is probably an address in Small Heath.

Can anyone verify by Trade Directories or similar.

Regards
Simon “The Token Man” from Ipswich.4779540E-FE0D-4BEE-97B6-41BF11B88342.jpeg6FBFAE01-9957-46BF-8CE3-24285AC8D6E9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
William Henry Edmonds is listed at 353 Coventry Road in directories from 1876 till 1884. In 1873 the site is listed as a private house,Beech cottage. by 1888 the road has been renumbered from consecutive to odd one side, even the other, which would normally be ;
likely to give a very different number, but, surprisingly , although the shop still seems to be in about the same position, it is numbered 352 and 354. Anyway the token must be from around mid 1870s till mid 1880s

Evening,
Once again Birmingham tokens seem to fall into my possession.

This time I have a 6d and a 2d check token for W H Edmonds, a Grocer and Provision Dealer, at 353 Coventry Road, which being a non-Brum, I assume is probably an address in Small Heath.

Can anyone verify by Trade Directories or similar.

Regards
Simon “The Token Man” from Ipswich.

View attachment 179851View attachment 179852
Great tokens..would you sell one?

Need to check my records but think it was around £20 each.
I tell you why I was interested... Billy Edmonds was the first honorary sec and club captain for Small Heath Alliance (now Birmingham City) between 1875-1876. He left Birmingham in 1884 to set up business in Bradford, Nottingham after a family death. To be honest I would have probably paid slightly more based on the above! Just to own one of them would have been spectacular because of the connection to the club.

I tell you why I was interested... Billy Edmonds was the first honorary sec and club captain for Small Heath Alliance (now Birmingham City) between 1875-1876. He left Birmingham in 1884 to set up business in Bradford, Nottingham after a family death. To be honest I would have probably paid slightly more based on the above! Just to own one of them would have been spectacular because of the connection to the club.
*Basford, Nottingham

Back