• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Apparent random problem with the forum

It looks like different machinesmight give different magnifications to the same zoom value. But this does not explain why it suddenly started having this effect. Is that possible?

mike i have also noticed another change for me...take for instance vivs post 188 on below thread...she has posted a few photos...click on the first one and usually all i did was hit the arrow on the right and the next photo would enlarge and so on...now all the photos are lined up at the bottom of the post and i have to click on them seperately..just another observation and wonder if any other members are getting the same thing happen

mike i have also noticed another change for me...take for instance vivs post 188 on below thread...she has posted a few photos...click on the first one and usually all i did was hit the arrow on the right and the next photo would enlarge and so on...now all the photos are lined up at the bottom of the post and i have to click on them seperately..just another observation and wonder if any other members are getting the same thing happen

Lyn, it worked perfectly for me. Clicked on the first one then used the arrow to scroll through. I will say in the past (over a year) this did not always happen, sometimes it did and sometimes not. I just clicked each independently and chalked it up to where I was located. Having said that I only have access to two emojis, the same two since I joined 2015. The smile and with sunglasses.

I'm still having the problems as before, have to reduce to 67% to post them go back up again. The blue banner won't go and the reply and new post buttons won't work unless reduced.
Sorry!
rosie.

sorry you are still having problems rosie...hopefully warren will log back on and read from his last post 22 to see the problems many of us are still having...it cant be normal to have to reduce the zoom to use the forums functions then have to higher the zoom again to be able to read the forum

lyn

Lyn, I Know Warren spends a lot of vauable time keeping the Forum going for us and I do
appreciate it so I don't like "complaining" but It's best to say what's happpening I think.
Thanks to Warren and alll moderators.
rosie.

Lyn, I Know Warren spends a lot of vauable time keeping the Forum going for us and I do
appreciate it so I don't like "complaining" but It's best to say what's happpening I think.
Thanks to Warren and alll moderators.
rosie.
hi rosie yes for those members who can make a post it is best to do so so that we can see just how many are having problems since the weds before last...it could be suggested that we have all changed settings on our devices or hit a wrong button but looking at how many members are having problems i think that most unlikely...

lyn

Just my penny worth, I don't think it is this forum but your own operating systems, I have no problems on here but I do on other websites similar to what members are having on here, sorry to say I don't know why the answer is.

It has no bearing on the operating system being used. This is the only web site giving me issues. It is problematic on both Linux Cinnamon and Microsoft 10 Pro. I am using my alternative browser, Brave, to make this post'
The answer seems to lie with the browsers parentage.
Maybe this will help

It has no bearing on the operating system being used. This is the only web site giving me issues. It is problematic on both Linux Cinnamon and Microsoft 10 Pro. I am using my alternative browser, Brave, to make this post'
The answer seems to lie with the browsers parentage.
Maybe this will help
thanks for managing to post alan...i agree its nothing to do with the operatiing systems members are using...i too only have this problem with bhf...every other site i use is perfectly fine....i just find it all very odd

lyn

You may be right, aston lad - but it doesn't seem to explain why, suddenly and apparently simultaneously, a number of members have started to have an identical problem - even when using different browsers and operating systems. We have asked Warren if he can apply his expertise and experience to help resolve this conundrum. In the meantime we realise that some members are finding that use of the Forum is a real pain at the moment and we regret that.

Chris

It was added. I had this problem earlier in the evening on my laptop ( but not my mobile) but it went away

On the topic of changes. I have no problems with viewing the site. No zooming in or out required. I am using Safari (various versions with different macOS versions) and iOS (17). This post is just to check that the post function is working. However, I have noticed that coincident with this thread, the cookie page that sometimes comes up with pre selected cookies that I have to un-tick, now comes up with no preselections made.
Andrew.

On the topic of changes. I have no problems with viewing the site. No zooming in or out required. I am using Safari (various versions with different macOS versions) and iOS (17). This post is just to check that the post function is working. However, I have noticed that coincident with this thread, the cookie page that sometimes comes up with pre selected cookies that I have to un-tick, now comes up with no preselections made.
Andrew.
Yes Andrew. I am on Safari too. Just updated at the beginning of the week and now have to un-tick the cookies every time. Tinpot

Why on earth would you need to change zoom, change browser clear cashe or anything else when the forum was working ok before BUT ISNT NOW. I think I will wait until the problems have been sorted out by the owners of the forum.

thanks for managing to post alan...i agree its nothing to do with the operatiing systems members are using...i too only have this problem with bhf...every other site i use is perfectly fine....i just find it all very odd

lyn
I think it is very odd as well but I would not discount anything at this point. I am using windows 11 with edge on my computer, typing this on my iPad and no issues on those on this or any other site, or my 3 year old iPhone. Updates to device operating systems in many cases occur while we are sleep. Regarding the zooming, I have never heard of that being a ”fix” it might be but!!

Why on earth would you need to change zoom, change browser clear cashe or anything else when the forum was working ok before BUT ISNT NOW. I think I will wait until the problems have been sorted out by the owners of the forum.
Because it doesn't affect everyone does it, it works normally for me with no problems whatsoever so it's clearly individual settings on some members PC or phone. You just discovered it's your add blocker, nuff sed :p

Because it doesn't affect everyone does it, it works normally for me with no problems whatsoever so it's clearly individual settings on some members PC or phone. You just discovered it's your add blocker, nuff sed :p
You are right, but people are STILL getting problems, its ok saying "im all right Jack" but what about your fellow forum users !!! yeah NUFF said mate.

fellow users you may want to know that if you use a VPN you should find that you CAN use an ad blocker, VPN set as USA works for me .

We are all groping around for causes and for solutions, until we establish what precisely has happened. So far no one has been entirely right and no one wrong. We may still stumble on an answer/workaround applicable to everyone - although I have my doubts about that. There has to be a strong possibility – due to the suddenness of the problem and how it affects such a wide range of members' software – that the cause lies somewhere in the Forum software, if any change has occurred within that recently; and that this, in turn has had some knock-on effect for some members systems. But of course, it is only Warren who can give us guidance on this. And on what, if anything, can be done about it.

Eventually Mods will want to summarise and offer the best guidance to those members who are suffering (and some of whom may well struggle over some of the more technical solutions needed).

In the meantime, all further constructive and courteous comments about possible causes/workarounds will continue to be more than welcome.

Chris.

Back