• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Where was your first holiday?

Weston Super Mare is near to Birmingham. Next door is Brean, static caravans galore. When we lived down that way, we called it Birmingham-on-sea. I felt quite at home wandering around there on our occasional visits in the summer time, I was able to relax my accent, and blend in, a bit like putting on an old favourite jumper. In winter time, it was back to oooh arr, Wurzels style.
Andrew.
werzel style is cool Andrew.i always look like him:grinning:

My first holidays were to Barmouth. Besides me there were a brother and sister who are twins. Early 50s and I'm sure our parents had to go without to afford us our annual week away. Anyone who's taken the train to Bamouth from Birmingham will know that it's a lovely journey that only gets better as you travel through mid Wales.

A couple of years ago my wife and I did the train journey again by Arriva Trains for pure nostalgic reasons. The journey was just as good as remembered but the weather at Barmouth was dreadful and we were quickly on our way home again.

My first holiday I recall was in Skegness, I was about 4 years old, in the 50's. I remember my Aunty Gill and Uncle Terry came along with us. I remember getting in trouble and crying a lot at Skegness lido. I recall pulling the (stitched on) spots off Aunty Gill's bathing suit while she sunbathed. She has not let me live that down and always brings it up to this day, making me feel like I was four years old again. I think that suit cost her a fair bit of money at that time for her to hold a grudge for so long.

little boy talking to a sad looking Donkey 1958 Llandudno
View attachment 173185
The building to the far right in the photo is the top of The Pavillion, which began to deteriorate over the years and burnt down in 1994. I believe the site has still not been redeveloped. Not the housing in the background remains pretty much unchanged. My Mum opened a guest house here back in 1985 and spent the rest of her life in wales.

Attachments

• 1024px-Pavilion_exterior.jpg
    1024px-Pavilion_exterior.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 15
  • G4LlandudnoTP-1024x664.jpg
    G4LlandudnoTP-1024x664.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 14
  • Llandudno.jpg
    Llandudno.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
First time I went away without my Mother and Sister was when I was 17, girlfriend, at the time, booked a flat in Weston but told my Mother I was going away with some lads from work, unfortunately a "friend" from work told her what I had been up to and for the next few weeks there was silence in our house.
I had a similar holiday with a friend, at a B&B in Cliftonville, Kent. We daren't tell our parents our boyfriends were going also. I remember my sheer embarrassment when my boyfriend at the time had to tell the Landlord of the B&B that the bed had broken. Ground swallow me up!!

Some pictures attached , took a trip to Brean Sands a trip own memory lane.
We came here 35 years ago with our son.
The weather is great see how blue the sky is.

Attachments

• 16242D58-C80A-4CAC-B2D3-52D7A4B6CAA4.jpeg
    16242D58-C80A-4CAC-B2D3-52D7A4B6CAA4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • AD890777-F05F-415D-B48F-B1347D3918DD.jpeg
    AD890777-F05F-415D-B48F-B1347D3918DD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
We went to Southsea alot, Hayling island which miffed me because it isn't one, Eastney, which then had the barracks, and Portsmouth which dad called Pompey.
We stayed at Mrs Austin's bandb her husband was in the navy I think. I called him uncle Bunny. I called her aunty Gwen, Grandad & Nan came once, Nan was jealous of 'Aunty' Gwen saying 'er cor cook ta save er life.'
Rode on a trolly bus, flew my kite on the common, went to the fair, sand in the sandwiches mmmmm! stayed up late, in the dark, family all together outside, britvic, crisps a string of fairy lights, I was made up.

Severn Beach, Bristol was a popular holiday destination for Birmingham people. Located about a mile below the second Severn Crossing it had a station, and a holiday camp with converted coaches as caravans, huts and places for tents. There was a lido called the Blue Lagoon.

I would be very interested to hear of anyone who had a holiday there.

There was a lido called the Blue Lagoon.

"Eventually, the Blue Lagoon was abandoned, taking a final bow in a 1980 episode of Shoestring, with the private detective facing a showdown with a couple of villains in its vandalised, graffiti-daubed ruins. Shortly after, it was demolished to improve the sea defences".

Source: https://thebristolmag.co.uk/the-life-and-times-of-severn-beach/

Don't some things just make you feel sad :sob: ?

Andrew.

I remember kids scrabbling for pennies thrown in the mud somewhere in or near Portsmouth. Mum was aghast she had told me they used to dive for them.
I have a photo of me titled Mudlark in Sandown. It wasn't mud but I had been wet then rolled in the sand. It was retrieved from Gran's when she passed away, she put it in a little metal frame I still have. There were other snaps beneath it. She only had 2 frames being quite poor.

I think this was in Exmouth (I'm the baby - about 5 or 6 months old). Does anyone recognise the beach ? Obviously I remember nothing about it ! That carrycot came in handy for storage.

I think we were combining a holiday with seeing relations: my two aunts, an uncle and grandma. They'd moved from Birmingham to Hayes Raleigh in the early 1950s. A few years later they'd all emigrated to California.

Viv.

Screenshot_20230611_190929_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230611_190931_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Today's BBC on line news has a piece about the Floral clock which has now been concreted over!
I see that Weston Lions decided to concrete it over because, "Over the last three years we found it harder and harder to look after the clock". they added that they had been watering the flowers three times a week in summer and it was still not enough to keep them alive. :rolleyes:

A local council spokesperson has said, "North Somerset Council was not given notice that work was planned, and, as landowner, we did not give our permission for work to be undertaken".

Councillor Mike Solomon from North Somerset Council, said they will have a meeting with the Lions to discuss how to move forward. "It's been important to Westonians and I am a Westonian," Mr Solomon said."But we are talking about 20,000 plants being planted every year and maintained. We are in a place now where we just don't have that money to spend. It's difficult to think of a way forward". What will they do next concrete the beach?:(

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-68217881

Then and now below:

1707406675146.png 1707406694663.png

I think this was in Exmouth (I'm the baby - about 5 or 6 months old). Does anyone recognise the beach ? Obviously I remember nothing about it ! That carrycot came in handy for storage.

I think we were combining a holiday with seeing relations: my two aunts, an uncle and grandma. They'd moved from Birmingham to Hayes Raleigh in the early 1950s. A few years later they'd all emigrated to California.

Viv.

View attachment 181352View attachment 181353
Great memories stopped in one of those caravans last year .

I see that Weston Lions decided to concrete it over because, "Over the last three years we found it harder and harder to look after the clock". they added that they had been watering the flowers three times a week in summer and it was still not enough to keep them alive. :rolleyes:

A local council spokesperson has said, "North Somerset Council was not given notice that work was planned, and, as landowner, we did not give our permission for work to be undertaken".

Councillor Mike Solomon from North Somerset Council, said they will have a meeting with the Lions to discuss how to move forward. "It's been important to Westonians and I am a Westonian," Mr Solomon said."But we are talking about 20,000 plants being planted every year and maintained. We are in a place now where we just don't have that money to spend. It's difficult to think of a way forward". What will they do next concrete the beach?:(

Then and now below:

View attachment 188824 View attachment 188825
Put artificial ones in . What a shame . That's progress for you or 20,000 plants means some Council members fact finding trips abroad being cancelled . Do not put thoughts into their heads about concreating the beach where will they get the sand from for the mix ha ha.

Then and now below:

View attachment 188824 View attachment 188825
That is SO sad! I remember looking in wonder at that clock when I must have been 7 or 8. Never understood some of those "fact finding trips" my old boss called them "boon doggles" and I agree for the most part!

From infancy, all my childhood holidays were in Cornwall, the first I can remember would have been in the early to mid 70s. We were a large family so my sister and I had to travel in the boot of my Dad’s Ford Cortina Mk1 Estate, wedged either side of the camping equipment, any discomfort nullified by the exitement of going on a week’s summer holiday. Every holiday began the same way, in order to avoid the heaviest traffic we would always set out Friday evening just as it was getting dark and drive from Kings Heath, past Longbridge and the Bostin’ Austin to the M5. Then a long, long night time drive down the seemingly endless (every journey beyond 20 minutes is endless when you're little) motorway, the soporific drone of the engine enough perhaps to send mum and my sister off to sleep but not me. I’ve frequently driven that journey myself in well under four hours as an adult but back then it must’ve taken at least double that. Eventually we’d arrive to what seemed like a different country to me with the rolling sea, heather covered cliffs, big skies and the smell of fresh air.
Those summer holidays provided me with my happiest childhood memories and as soon as I had children of my own, I did the same thing with them. Now they’re grown they’ve travelled all over the world but still go down to Cornwall every year.

From infancy, all my childhood holidays were in Cornwall, the first I can remember would have been in the early to mid 70s. We were a large family so my sister and I had to travel in the boot of my Dad’s Ford Cortina Mk1 Estate, wedged either side of the camping equipment, any discomfort nullified by the exitement of going on a week’s summer holiday. Every holiday began the same way, in order to avoid the heaviest traffic we would always set out Friday evening just as it was getting dark and drive from Kings Heath, past Longbridge and the Bostin’ Austin to the M5. Then a long, long night time drive down the seemingly endless (every journey beyond 20 minutes is endless when you're little) motorway, the soporific drone of the engine enough perhaps to send mum and my sister off to sleep but not me. I’ve frequently driven that journey myself in well under four hours as an adult but back then it must’ve taken at least double that. Eventually we’d arrive to what seemed like a different country to me with the rolling sea, heather covered cliffs, big skies and the smell of fresh air.
Those summer holidays provided me with my happiest childhood memories and as soon as I had children of my own, I did the same thing with them. Now they’re grown they’ve travelled all over the world but still go down to Cornwall every year.
Love those stories! We never had a car when I was growing up. If I went anywhere it was by train, chara or bike!
I do remember early in my career we lived in Jamestown NY, our family lived very close NYC. We had a Chevrolet station wagon, little bigger than a Cortina. We left for Christmas right after our son got out of school. Same plan drive into the dark. With both children in the back we pulled onto the expressway with a sign that said NYC 390 miles, my wife and I heard “how much longer” they were 4 & 6. it became a family thing and now grandchildren thing!

Love those stories! We never had a car when I was growing up. If I went anywhere it was by train, chara or bike!
I do remember early in my career we lived in Jamestown NY, our family lived very close NYC. We had a Chevrolet station wagon, little bigger than a Cortina. We left for Christmas right after our son got out of school. Same plan drive into the dark. With both children in the back we pulled onto the expressway with a sign that said NYC 390 miles, my wife and I heard “how much longer” they were 4 & 6. it became a family thing and now grandchildren thing!
I think it’s a very special thing to be able to create happy memories for a child. It’s a funny thing, but one of the clearest recollections I have of my first holiday is lying underneath a fold out sunlounger that was being used as a bed (I was THAT young) while Mum cooked breakfast. As I lay belly down, I remember staring through a piece of thick transparent polythene that was being used as a groundsheet and seeing the condensation from the grass form on the underside. Why such a daft little thing stayed in my head for the rest of my life I’ll never know, but it did.

I think it’s a very special thing to be able to create happy memories for a child. It’s a funny thing, but one of the clearest recollections I have of my first holiday is lying underneath a fold out sunlounger that was being used as a bed (I was THAT young) while Mum cooked breakfast. As I lay belly down, I remember staring through a piece of thick transparent polythene that was being used as a groundsheet and seeing the condensation from the grass form on the underside. Why such a daft little thing stayed in my head for the rest of my life I’ll never know, but it did.
It was a special time for you & your family!

Memories are strange, and the oddist recollections, from a very young can persist through to old age. Mine, is sitting in a sort of pushchair, with my dad's arms very brown and a white shirt with the arms rolled up to his bicep, and I was looking through a fringe of sorts which was swaying ,and the light was very bright. I think I was being pushed round, Cannon Hill Park,as my mom always told me that dad would take me there, while she prepared Sunday lunch, I suppose I must have been about 18mths 2 yrs old.

Memories are strange, and the oddist recollections, from a very young can persist through to old age. Mine, is sitting in a sort of pushchair, with my dad's arms very brown and a white shirt with the arms rolled up to his bicep, and I was looking through a fringe of sorts which was swaying ,and the light was very bright. I think I was being pushed round, Cannon Hill Park,as my mom always told me that dad would take me there, while she prepared Sunday lunch, I suppose I must have been about 18mths 2 yrs old.
Paul, you are so right about memories! It seems that we never know what stays with us for many many years. Many times the event or picture is seemingly of little significance but to us! I have noticed from time to time that our two children can recall times/events that were seemingly insignificant to my wife and I but of major important to them.

That’s a nice memory to have of your Dad, Paul. As the great Carl Sagan said, “To live in the hearts of others is to never die in those we leave behind.”

Back