• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What was the best Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
most beautiful girls, ( I still live with one, having been married 56 years, this coming Saturday.)
Me too. That was a good generation. I am catching you up, married in 1971. Best wishes for Saturday and beyond.
I am often asked, both by people I know, and strangers, “looking back, what would I change in my life ?”. After a short period of reflection, (unnecessary, but to show consideration for the question), my reply is “nothing”.
That sums up the 50s onward for me.
Although I do admit to a preference for the late 60s to 80s for music.

Andrew.

I don’t like the way these terms for generations are used. Generation X, Baby Boomers etc are used more to divide us than unite and I think most of us would be unsure what they are describing. Born in 1947 I am a “baby boomer’ which in my mind meant probably anyone born after the war and say up the coronation but seemingly it extends to 1960. Lots of things were put in place after the war that we all benefitted from. For me the most precious was a free education.

I think every generation consider their one was the best. Having spoken to my grandmother, father and son, for example, each one of them considered the periods 1905 - 1925, 1930 - 1950 and 1995 - 2015, respectively to be the best time to have been around. When I talk to my wife and friends, the period 1965 - 1985 gets the vote. As I kept being told back then, your schooldays would be happy times to remember and I would add to that the days of being a carefree teenager and a young adult, perhaps before we all began to slow down and began thinking too deeply.

I don’t like the way these terms for generations are used. Generation X, Baby Boomers etc are used more to divide us than unite and I think most of us would be unsure what they are describing. Born in 1947 I am a “baby boomer’ which in my mind meant probably anyone born after the war and say up the coronation but seemingly it extends to 1960. Lots of things were put in place after the war that we all benefitted from. For me the most precious was a free education.
I always thought that X was applied to mark something that was wrong.

Maybe we (1950 baby boomer for me) are the check_mark_symbol_clip_art_11252.jpg generation.

Andrew.

I always thought that X was applied to mark something that was wrong.

Maybe we (1950 baby boomer for me) are the View attachment 172419 generation.

Andrew.
The problem with this term (BBs) now is that everyone thinks we are all home owning, bed blocking pensioners shuffling round in our slippers singing Roll Out The Barrel and eating roast beef with Yorkshire pudding .

Last edited:
The problem with this term (BBs) now is that everyone thinks we are all home owning, bed blocking pensioners shuffling round in our slippers singing Roll Our The Barrel and eating roast beef with Yorkshire pudding .
Over here, the generic term for expats like me from UK is 'rosbif', (much as ours is 'frog' for the converse, and for the same reason). Also the song is more likely to be one of Sacha Distel's or Charles Aznavour's efforts. (And he was Armenian, so figure). As for the rest, OK, fair enough. (Although I only block my own bed, especially in the morning).
I think every generation consider their one was the best.
I agree, the time from middle of grammar school years through college to first change of job were best for me. Then reality and dependencies began to sink in.
The rest has been pretty good as well though.

Andrew.

Born in the sever winter 1947, in Dudley Road Hosp, my father was serving on BCP at the time, the real difference between the generations, is I believe a loss of self and general discipline. We of my generation were brought up to be self reliant, and with a stricter sense of duty and self help, we were also educated, in social skills. To respect women, and the older generations, to help with home chores, and not to expect to much from government and society in general, and possibly a stricter moral code. So when the total Liberalisation of society occurred we were somewhat lost, and with this mis understanding of life's values in general a little outraged. I am sure it happens to all generations,its that with his one it has come more of a culture shock, not much respect for your country, and people in it, do as you like no matter who or what it hurts. In all fairness at 75, this world is quite a mystery to me!!!!

I am 77, born in the last days of WW2. I look back on my life with gratitude. I have always considered we lived through the best years. The best music, the most beautiful girls, ( I still live with one, having been married 56 years, this coming Saturday.) We did not earn a lot, but managed to save and buy a house. We bought what we could afford. Had no debt, and now look back and think it was GREAT.
I do feel sorry for the youngster’s now days. Their requirements of having to have everything NOW! The best thing they could do is cut up their credit cards and save for what they want. I’m sure in the long run they also will be happier and more contented. Alf.C
Wonderful, have a great day both! :party:

Can you imagine todays kids lining up for inspection by the nit nurse or holding out a hand for the swish of the cane when they`ve been naughty or having cod liver oil shoved down their throats.. Lets bring back national service & tell Adolph Putin where to stick his hammer & Sycle ( they don`t like it up`em you know ) ;)

Me too. That was a good generation. I am catching you up, married in 1971. Best wishes for Saturday and beyond.
I am often asked, both by people I know, and strangers, “looking back, what would I change in my life ?”. After a short period of reflection, (unnecessary, but to show consideration for the question), my reply is “nothing”.

Andrew.

Andrew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back