• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Black Country Museum

I live in Tipton which isn't very far from the Black Country Living Museum. It's one of the few places left that maintains, promotes and educates people about the history of the local area and its significance during the industrial revolution.

There is also a great place just behind it called 'Wren's Nest nature reserve' which has a history dating back hundreds of millions of years back. There are many underground caves and tunnels too. There's one under Dudley Castle but yet to explore that lol

All the photos apart from the last one are of an old, un-navigable underground canal tunnel that I have explored. I didn't get as far as the limestone mines sadly but the tunnel has a plastic raft inside that you pull yourself along the tunnel using a rope tied to the end of the tunnel. I went through on my own the first time and it reminded me of early explorers of the world that thought they would fall off the edge of the world due to not knowing where it led!
The last picture is of an underground area situated under Dudley Castle that nobody really knows about. I found the entrance to it last time I was at the zoo I think and intend to have a look next time lol

Attachments

• The stores cavern.jpg
    The stores cavern.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 7 sisters canal basin.jpg
    7 sisters canal basin.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Step shaft mine.jpg
    Step shaft mine.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Wrens Nest tunnel Bostin days out.jpg
    Wrens Nest tunnel Bostin days out.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 12
  • wren7.jpg
    wren7.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 12
  • wren5.jpg
    wren5.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 13
About 20 years ago, me and some mates went over Wren's Nest and entered into the Seven Sisters Caves that used to be visible from a viewing platform but are now filled in with bricks sadly. Anyway, me and my mates climbed the fence and armed with nothing but a really bright torch ventured inside. I can remember a ledge to the right hand side with a drop of around 30ft that we decided to roll/drop/throw big boulders off and the BOOM or echo of those crashing below was satisfying lol we attempted to explore a little but thankfully we decided against it and probably the best idea looking back. Parts of the cave system collapsed not long after that for some reason lol

About 20 years ago, me and some mates went over Wren's Nest and entered into the Seven Sisters Caves that used to be visible from a viewing platform but are now filled in with bricks sadly. Anyway, me and my mates climbed the fence and armed with nothing but a really bright torch ventured inside. I can remember a ledge to the right hand side with a drop of around 30ft that we decided to roll/drop/throw big boulders off and the BOOM or echo of those crashing below was satisfying lol we attempted to explore a little but thankfully we decided against it and probably the best idea looking back. Parts of the cave system collapsed not long after that for some reason lol
I too have explored some of the limestone mines around the Black Country Museum, Kettles Hill and Wrens Next. I have been to the bottom of the 144 level where we found a boat in a dried-up underground canal. We also went into the Singing cavern before it was reopened. I also recall an enormous cavern at Castlemill basin

Yes, Castle Mill Basin is where the tunnel is. The 2 of them are used for the boat tours but the one gated off is the one I speak of. I have been trying to find some fellow explorers to go adventuring but not that simple sadly but summers coming so fingers crossed lol

Only ever been to BC museum once with my late Wife about 40 years ago, still in fairly early stages and it was an awful rainy day too. Painting attached giving my impression. Eric
I'm slightly off-topic Eric but I'm sure nobody will mind in this case. I just wanted to say that I'm always amazed at the way you are able to capture light and reflections in your paintings as in this one. Lovely!

This was taken on a boat tour at BCLM in about 1984/5. I remember we also stopped in a large circular spot, where you could see upwards to the sky, but it seemed very, very deep down. Was a bit creepy to be honest with loads of plant life hanging down the walls and over the water. I did take a photo but can’t find it. Viv.

CDFAB17D-0DE4-46F2-95C3-3DE83BA7FFFC.jpeg

Looking at the photo, if you imagine turning about 45° to your left, the tunnel I explored is there or the entrance to it at least. Its so cool but sadly don't think it'll be accessible again which pains me knowing the huge underground caverns we're almost within reach but waded through the water and orange sludge as far as I could but was too dangerous plus the sign before you even got onto the raft thing that read; 'Keep out danger of death due to oxygen deficiency' sprang to mind... (when at the opposite end of the tunnel lol)

This was taken on a boat tour at BCLM in about 1984/5. I remember we also stopped in a large circular spot, where you could see upwards to the sky, but it seemed very, very deep down. Was a bit creepy to be honest with loads of plant life hanging down the walls and over the water. I did take a photo but can’t find it. Viv.

View attachment 169685
The photos by Pedrocut are Castlemill basin. If you say it was quite deep and narrow, then you may have been in Hurst Cavern (also known as the well) in the Dudley canal tunnel. Its where the tourist boats would run to be fore reversing out.

wendy i loved the tunnels...mind you when they asked for volenteers to do some legging i shrunk to the back...lol...

must go again as they seem to have added things since i last went...

lyn:)
My Great Grandfather (Nan's dad) did lots of legging she was always telling me about how hard his job was as a Barge man

Regretfully I never visited the Elephant & Castle, but did pass it many times including 2 days before and 4 days after it was suddenly demolished. There is one pleasant thing to record about its passing. that is that the assorted speculators and dubious personalities that ordered its demolition quickly in order to prevent listing presumably did not make much profit from their actions. The two views from Google earth below( from today and from the surprisingly early though very blurred December 1999) show that the site is now still just a patch of grass which could not have got them much profit

ScreenHunter 5942.jpgScreenHunter 5943.jpg

How much trade will they take from "the Bottle and Glass" I wonder. Last time I visited I had a superb pint of Banks bitter and a delicious cheese and onion cob.
doubt it will take any trade from the bottle and glass jim as its only a small pub and i think the fact that it is the original including the cellars it will still keep its appeal wheras the elephant and castle is a mock up...

lyn

Back