• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
This evening from the garden, at the back of the gardens there is a small wood. Some a******* has started a fire. Brigade called !

This evening from the garden, at the back of the gardens there is a small wood. Some a******* has started a fire. Brigade called !

Thank goodness it was a little fire that was knocked down quickly! Hundreds of acres are currently burning here in BC and in California again this year, with homes and property lost, plus lives and livestock at severe risk.

Some fires are due to natural causes, lightning strikes etc, but a large number are due to unsupervised idiots.

Around 3:00 am this morning, I was awaken by a barrage of about twenty or so firecrackers being set off out in the street! The grass is pretty much like straw at this point and I give it a really good soaking every evening, but it only takes one spark or ember.....

What I find incomprensible, is that kids who should be at home in bed are out there playing with fire. Their parents, for want of a more descriptive word, are likely totally oblivious of the mayhem that ensues when their precious little ones are out for a walk with their friends! What the heck has happened to responsible parenting these days?!!

If I had even contemplated doing something stupid like that once and my parents had found out, I wouldn't have been able to sit down for a month. Unfortunately, corporal punishment is frowned upon these days. Geez, the gene pool really is running dry!

Just had a call from the sister in law. She says picked tomatoes yesterday, gardeners delight very bitter and skins are tough. I am hearing lots of stories from people about crops that are failing.

I've never grown tomatoes before but bought a packet of 'Gardeners Delight' seeds, started them indoors, and then transplanted outdoors in large pots. Lots of things went wrong, the tomatoes had green shoulders with slight ridges. Google search told me this was bad and the green shoulder parts would not ripen. I took this pic yesterday and now read that they might be bitter ... I will taste the ripest looking tomato today and see if it is sweet or bitter ... :)
IMG_1409 (Medium).JPG

Any ideas as to what this might be? This has happened at the edge of some paving slabs 3 times over the last 10 days. Cleared up and put the pebbles back first time. Dug down the second time about a foot. Nothing to be seen except builders sand. Put everything back. This is the third time this morning about 2ft further along the edge of path.
Looks to me as though you have an ants nest there. I always use Nippon on them and it gets rid of them easily
Absolutely agree it will be ants!

As I said before I'm sure it is ants. We had two piles of sand earlier this year and my wife had seen ants there. The one was on the drive which is block paved and I couldn't believe how much sand had been brought up overnight. I used Nippon and since then no signs of it returning

I planted a Wisteria last year and this year the greenery has gone berserk - do I need to trim it back to hopefully get flowers on it next year.

As I said before I'm sure it is ants. We had two piles of sand earlier this year and my wife had seen ants there. The one was on the drive which is block paved and I couldn't believe how much sand had been brought up overnight. I used Nippon and since then no signs of it returning
Thanks. I have taken another close look this afternoon and can see that there are ants running along under the pebbles. I did wonder if it might be a toad burrow as we have seen toads around in the past. Tinpot

Actually it is the residue left by the worker ants after the flying ants have left the nest, the other sign seen here in Devon is masses of seagulls snapping them up in the air. It is actually quite an impressive site as the workers and the soldiers prepare the way, hence the sand and the winged ants leave the nest, walk about and try their wings and then fly off. They are bigger than those left behind who then go back underground leaving just the odd soldier up top.
Bob

I've never grown tomatoes before but bought a packet of 'Gardeners Delight' seeds, started them indoors, and then transplanted outdoors in large pots. Lots of things went wrong, the tomatoes had green shoulders with slight ridges. Google search told me this was bad and the green shoulder parts would not ripen. I took this pic yesterday and now read that they might be bitter ... I will taste the ripest looking tomato today and see if it is sweet or bitter ... :)
View attachment 172199
P.lanted six Tumblers in two trugs and had better year ever twenty to thirty pounds, but been picking since early July and now almost finished. Victoria plums 5 only this year, each one gorgeous.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back