• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
They all look perfect. Hoe come the birds have not got a single peck at them

There are thousands of them. 150 yards, each side of the track, about 5 yards+ deep each side.

Roe deer have been eating them, and a fair amount picked by local people, but plenty left.

I have just eaten some, and, although small compared to shop bought, the taste is on a different level.

Steve.

Steve.

The Boss, and I, went clay pigeon shooting this morning. The Range sits within a forestry block, and the track is amass with Rasps!

We picked enough for a good helping for each of us.

Steve.
Wonderful fruit. I have a patch of Summer Raspberries and a patch of Autumn Raspberries. For those that do not know Summer Raspberries fruit on last years wood. Autumn Raspberries fruit on new wood so cut down last years wood when fruited On Summer Raspberries and cut Autumn Raspberries right down to eighteen inches in November a fact lost on my eldest son as last year he decided to cut them all down to eighteen inches without asking as he was bored to help me out. The pennies dropped with him now as he loved Raspberries with his cereal in the mornings.

I've never grown tomatoes before but bought some seeds which quickly grew into sturdy plants. Tomatoes appeared but they are green near the stalks and also have faint ridges. I Googled and found it was known as 'green shoulders' and the green parts would never properly ripen. The plants have lots of tomatoes but it's not looking good ... :(

Attachments

• Tomatoes.jpg
    Tomatoes.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 6
i had lots of caterpillars on my nasturtiuns, so i sprayed them with garlic water they soon left:grinning:

Attachments

• Common-Nasturtium.jpg
    Common-Nasturtium.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1
  • cats.jpg
    cats.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 1
i had lots of caterpillars on my nasturtiuns, so i sprayed them with garlic water they soon left:grinning:
Nasturtiums are edible so if you are lucky you will get some extra protein.:yum

We have a hose pipe ban from 12 Aug here in the South East. I’ve already lost several plants and expect to lose more. Such a pity but I’m going to have to think carefully about any new plants for th garden. Could soon have a Mediterranean garden, something I’ve often thought of doing, but now’s my chance! Suggestions for striking drought resistant plants welcome. Viv.

Andrew, that stuff had a pretty strong smell. I always maintained it was the smell of that stuff that kept things away!
I use that not and smelly as blood and bone, I got the first one from Wilko now £3 supposed to last 6 months but I had to buy another with the heat.

I thought some more chicks were in the bird box but it is now home to a big moth. Barmy Finally hacked and split the 70 odd foot sycamore, plus 3 hazels and a rowan and exposed the pigeon nest on his side.

Attachments

• 20220721_180514.jpg
    20220721_180514.jpg
    856.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220728_174136.jpg
    20220728_174136.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220728_174143.jpg
    20220728_174143.jpg
    762.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220728_173649.jpg
    20220728_173649.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
Any ideas as to what this might be? This has happened at the edge of some paving slabs 3 times over the last 10 days. Cleared up and put the pebbles back first time. Dug down the second time about a foot. Nothing to be seen except builders sand. Put everything back. This is the third time this morning about 2ft further along the edge of path.

Attachments

• IMG_2511.JPG
    IMG_2511.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
Any ideas as to what this might be? This has happened at the edge of some paving slabs 3 times over the last 10 days. Cleared up and put the pebbles back first time. Dug down the second time about a foot. Nothing to be seen except builders sand. Put everything back. This is the third time this morning about 2ft further along the edge of path.
Looks to me as though you have an ants nest there. I always use Nippon on them and it gets rid of them easily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back