• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Another Baskerville House

wam

master brummie
Walking down Hurst Street and looking across an expanse of ground that had recently been demolished I saw something I hadn't noticed before. There is a building called Baskerville House on Barford Street.
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.471...4!1s_CgD8lxTmZb4DoD6PzEZKw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
I must have walked past it hundreds of times and either never noticed the name or just never looked up that high. From old directories it was a Wireworks in the 50s and 60s and a city transport depot in the 30s and 40s but the building soesn't seem suited to either of those and it seems odd that someone should put that name on a building after that.
It was still there a couple of weeks ago although it seems to be abandoned.

Looks like a relatively modern sign to me (at least post-1970s) the letters could be attached to a board. Perhaps there was another name underneath that. I expect the name Baskerville House was used on this building whilst the name ‘Civic Centre’ was still in use for the building in Centenary Square. Viv.

Last edited:
Back